And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Kids Can Change the World


I received a free copy of this book from Tommy Nelson for the purpose of review.





Would your child want to be The Kid Who Changed the World? I think most kids have such great ambitions and unlimited potential that they all could be kids who change the world. That is exactly the point Andy Andrews is making in this book (formerly titled The Boy Who Changed the World). The story begins with a child named Norman and fills the reader in on what Norman did to change the world. Of course Norman couldn't have done it alone! He was helped along the way by Henry who had been helped along the way by George. The colorful illustrations by Philip Hurst enhance the theme that everything we do can touch someone else and make a difference. How is that for some positive reading for your kiddo?

It is important to start teaching your children at an early age that God has BIG plans for them! Give them the confidence to shine those gifts He has bestowed upon them and teach them to pray out decisions to find His path for their lives. This book based on a true story is a great way to get that conversation started. Be sure to pray over your kids about their futures and don't be afraid to let the kids hear you! They need to know that they are covered by your prayers. If you aren't fond of praying aloud then keep a prayer journal for each of your kids. I know grown ups who still cherish the prayer journals of their parents.

Our church does an amazing job of helping our kids see what they can do. Recently the kids had a whole Sunday of leading service. They opened the service, played music, sang, took up tithe, did skits, and presented 2 messages (sermons). Both of my children participated and it always makes my heart soar to see them involved in church leadership. My Apple participated with a friend in giving one of the two messages. Now is the right time to show our kids how important it is to be leaders in the church.

photo courtesy of Katherine Chandler


Now are you ready for a chance to win a copy of this lovely hardback children's book? Enter via the easy Giveaway Tools widget and one reader will get their own copy!



I received a free copy of this book from Thomas Nelson for the purpose of review as a Tommy Mommy. All opinions are my own.


8 comments:

  1. I encourage my children to make a difference by modeling how to serve others. I'm volunteer at their school, at the Crisis Pregnancy Center, in the Children's Ministry at church, and I serve on the Women's Ministry. As a family we have begun praying and raising money for my mission trip to Bangladesh in November. I stress to my children that God can use us for His good purposes if we have hearts yielded to Him. I desire for my children to have missional hearts - to be bold in their faith.
    We do a devotional (almost) nightly, we listen to scripture music, and we pray in the car on the way to school for God to bless the day, the faculty in the school, and to help Joseph & Taylor be Christlike in their relationships with other students. It's not just one thing that we do as parents that inspires our children to make a difference in their world it's modeling a life completely surrendered to Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I encourage my kids to make a difference by being givers instead of getters. We always try to do missions projects and giving and talk about the people who will be blessed by what we do like Operation Christmas Child Shoeboxes etc. We also pray for the ministry whom we are giving to etc.
    marypopmom (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I encourage my children to make a difference by thinking about others. We try to hold doors for people, give smiles and say hello to strangers, and donate what we can to local groups. My son also likes to help in the church garden which benefits the local food pantry and we encourage him to do so as often as we are able.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tell people that if they are different they are unique and that is what makes them special. If they have an idea or dream then that is a good thing to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just always encouraged our kids to help others in need
    hrddiana556@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I encourage my children to make a difference by setting positive examples.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you announced a winner?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about that! Forgot to do the announcement on the widget. Merry S. was our winner.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!