And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Pioneering in the Present

I received this book free for the purpose of review.


I don't consider myself to be a "crafty" person. I know some very crafty people (hello friend that worked at a florist!) but I myself do not LOVE glitter...or paint...or mess. However when we broaden our view of crafts and arts, I do so love the craft of quilting, the art of gardening, the skill of canning fruits and vegetables. I do not quilt but I love that my talented friends do (if you are looking for some amazing quilts check out my friend at Kelbysews). I enjoy gardening and have my dad's green thumb (only for outdoor plants y'all) but I haven't been able to really get into it the last few years. I've canned jam before and found it to be a rewarding experience and canning is something I'd like to know more about.

I'm rambling here but I have 2 points. 1. We (my generation) NEED to learn these skills from the older generations so that these life skills will continue. 2. You are never too old to learn something new. I see a hopeful rise in the number of people buying food locally. I encourage you to check your local farmer's market any weekend to see it yourself. I also see a popularity rise in some of the other arts I mentioned. This is good! We should all be able to grow and make things. We never know what the future holds and someday those Golden Arches may not be around to feed us.



Modern Pioneering by Georgia Pellegrini includes more than 150 recipes, projects, and skills for a self-sufficient life. Now don't worry we aren't doomsday prepper homeschoolers (not that there's anything wrong with that). I just find manuals like these often have great ideas and recipes. Since most of the books I review are Christian in nature I want to disclose that this book is not. There are several recipes you may find here that I won't be using. Ahem. However this book does include much helpful information such as homemade seedling containers, how to properly wrap meat for the freezer, instructions for a 48 hour survival kit, and even how to change a tire (thankfully my dad taught me to do that a long time ago).

Now my husband said I didn't need this book because I'm practically a pioneer from play Oregon Trail American Settlers but I found some interesting recipes in here. I hope to try making homemade butter very soon. I wish less of the book was about alcohol infused recipes. That's a personal preference.

I will continue to study more about these arts. What is your favorite new thing you've learned recently?



I received this book for free from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!