And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Adventure on the Sea

We all know that before having children you have high...ideals about the things you will do to raise them. Unfortunately after the children arrive you discover that there is a lack of time, sleep, and brain cells to accomplish all those perfect parenting maneuver.

One thing I thought I'd always do would be to preview all books before my kids read them (and movies and television shows and games- you get the point). I did great at that until around the time Apple turned 6. She was an early reader and by the age of 6 she was devouring huge books very quickly. I soon ran put of age appropriate books for her. I turned to friends and we soon exhausted their "safe" lists as well. Like any parent I tried to find new books and read them before she did......but then I realized that sleep was necessary especially with 2 children (again mega kudos to my friends with 3, 4, or more kids!). So like any sane person I just began to scan them. Imagine me at the library glancing at the back of the book and then flipping through a few pages looking for bad words and taboo topics. That's still me over 3 years later. In fact now it is probably even "worse" because I have 2 children picking a wide range of books and asking if they can read them. Have some things slipped through the cracks? Yes. Have my children been permanently scarred or exposed to something really horrible? No. Do I still worry? OF COURSE.

I received a free copy of this book from Tyndale Publishers for the purpose of review.

One series that I know is safe is Adventures in Odyssey: The Imagination Station series. I can go ahead and tell you I haven't found anything from AiO that I had a problem with. We have listened to the audio series and read many of these books. They are all fantastic! The newest installment is #14 Captured on the High Seas by Marianne Hering and Nancy I. Sanders. Cousins Beth and John Patrick are in the Imagination Station when an accident occurs and suddenly they are in 1781 where they find themselves on an American ship.



They aren't sure if this adventure is a malfunction of the Imagination Station or if Mr. Whittaker (the owner of Whit's End) has sent them to this time and place on purpose. How will they figure it out? Will they ever return to their own time and place? As they settle into the adventure they make a friend on board named James and realize their ship is a part of a sea battle against the British. What will happen to Beth and John Patrick?

As I said these books are full of information and adventure and I have no trouble with the kids reading them before I preview them. Apple has been enjoying this series for a few years and I hope to start Speedy on them soon. Many of these books are also available in digital format for your e-reader.

I received a free copy of this book from Tyndale Blogging Network for the purpose of review. All opinions are my own.

Reviews for other Imagination Station Books:

#8 Battle for Cannibal Island and #9 Escape to the Hiding Place

#13 The Redcoats are Coming

#11 Hunt for the Devil's Dragon

Check out my latest giveaways!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!