And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Monday, June 2, 2014

Planning Projects

Contains information about a book I received free for the purpose of review. All opinions are my own.


So homeschool moms I am in full force planning mode. I've mentioned to you a couple of times that last school year was rough. It was hard. I wanted to quit. The kids wanted to quit. So I am devoting a lot of time to making sure this school year is different, better, and fun! One thing I did a week or so ago was to ask the kids what they wanted to be different.

Now normally this isn't how I roll. I like to be in control. I'm the mom that insists the kids do what I tell them and they better like it (not really...okay sometimes). However I do find value in my children's opinions and I ask especially when I'm struggling to find a solution. So my kids said they wanted "more art and more discovery". Discovery was Speedy's word which seems to mean more hands on. So we will be doing a project hour 2 days a week. This is really great because we are doing to be trying some new curriculum that offers GREAT projects. I am quickly learning that projects= more planning time for mom but that's okay. If my kids are excited about school again then I'm excited.

Now let me switch gears for a minute. Last Christmas Apple received a sewing machine as a wonderful Christmas present. We've barely knocked the dust off of it. This is totally my fault. It makes my muscles seize up to think about dragging it all out and then having to clean it all up. I must overcome this feeling because she really wants to learn how to sew. Now how are these two things related?


I selected this book to review because it looked like it would be fun. Maybe the projects in this book would help me sit down and do some sewing with my kids. I've got to tell you that I am so excited about some of the projects in Let's Sew Together by Rubyellen Bratcher. First I noticed the Let's Eat section with soft fruit and veggie patterns. These will be so much fun as we study nutrition as part of our Human Body science this fall. Then I saw the Travel the World Quilt. How fun is that?!?! My hubby's wonderful grandmother quilts and my daughter has wanted to try a quilt for forever. Quilts seem overwhelming to me but this book includes the templates in that back (that can be copied at a much higher scale) and I really think this is a project we could do together.

Some of these project require very little- needle, thread, and a little fabric- and others use a sewing machine and extra supplies. Either way you are sure to find some fun things to try with your own crafty kid! I also think you will enjoy the large section at the beginning of the book with tips, supplies, and age by age guidelines.

I received a free copy of this book from Blogging for Books for the purpose of review. All opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!