And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Faith, Sports, and Reading

I received this book free from BookLook for the purpose of review. All opinions are my own. 


I am constantly on the lookout for books for Speedy. Although he is really still into shorter chapter books with some pictures, if I see something a little more advanced that I think he will enjoy later then I like to grab it. Because he is so passionate about baseball (and sports in general) that is definitely a theme I look for when finding reading material for him. Snap Decision by Nathan Whitaker seemed like it might be a good fit for him for later. I've read it and I'm not disappointed at all.


Chase is in the 8th grade and the JV football quarterback. His dad isn't around but his best friend Tripp lives next door and Tripp's family treats him as one of their own. He and his sister have a positive, close knit group of friends and life is looking pretty good for Chase. In fact it is getting even better as it begins to look like he may have a chance to join his buddy Tripp on the varsity football team. This is just what he's been wanting. Things really are terrific and he's making friends on the varsity team and hearing he may be called up soon. He's beginning to fall behind in his studies but he'll catch up later......all of this culminates in a turning point and Chase is forced to make a split second decision about his best friend Tripp. Did Chase do the right thing? Can he live with the outcome?

This is a great story line. Not only a great story for my son when he feels more confident but I'm going to have my daughter read it as well. It includes some great instances of faith, some really meaningful reminders about honesty and obedience, as well as some great life lessons for athletes. I didn't want to put this little story down and I know they won't either once they get started. This isn't a difficult read at all and I think boys and girls will enjoy Chase's story as well as some of the other character's like Megan the 8th grade kicker for the varsity team (a GIRL!). 

I received a free copy of this book from BookLook in exchange for my review. I was not required to write a positive review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!