And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Getting It All Together

Well we are on the count down. Our school year begins in less than 2 weeks! EEK! This summer in ways feels as though it has flown right by but I think we are ready for our routine and structure. In fact there have been a couple of days already when I was tempted to dive on into school. The kids get bored when it gets too hot to play outside and I get tired of the bickering when they are bored. I don't allow them to stay on screens all day and even my reader gets tired of reading. So I'm trying to get all the finishing touches on our schoolroom.

If you are a homeschooler a schoolroom is certainly not required and isn't even the best options for some families but for us it is a necessity. The living area of our current home just isn't large enough to do school in the living room or at the kitchen table. Plus my kids love structure. They thrive on it. So for us a schoolroom is a huge plus. We sacrifice a room for our school area and I have my desk in there for blog work and working part time from home. Now it is still in progress but I wanted to give you a sneak peek!


I'm trying this out. Pulling the desks away from the wall seems like a logical choice in this room. I'm not sure how long they will be able to sit so closely together but we're going to try it. Since we are doing science, history, and some Bible together this year I needed them to face me. I always start them out facing me but at some point usually end up turning them back to back. Apple's desk is bigger than Speedy's. He is getting long legged so I will be looking for something similar for him starting now. 


One reason we need a schoolroom is our love for books. We have many and I pare them down all the time. We also have a lot of crafts supplies, flash cards, manipulatives, etc. Those are housed in a 3 drawer wide plastic cart that I moved to a closet. I forgot to get a picture of the inside of the closet but it isn't that exciting.


So far my desk is still a bit messy but I'm working on it! I love having my desk in the schoolroom. In our old house it was not in the same room. This is so much more efficient.


I was finally able to sit Apple's keyboard back up and I moved their work drawers to one side of the room. Each drawer represents a day and we've found this is the best way to organize our days. The baskets on top hold arts and crafts and project materials. We do have a lot!

So this is how we will begin. I have a short list of supplies to pick up: pencil sharpener (we've now broken 2- 1 electric, 1 hand crank) (oh and the mechanical pencils were okay but didn't last much longer than a sharpened pencil), index cards (for vocabulary & MOH memory cards), and something else is on my list but currently escapes me. 

Are you getting your school area ready? Have you started or do you start soon? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!