And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Money and Madness

I received this book for free from Waterbrook Multnomah.


Isn't that an amazingly intriguing cover? That's the first thing that drew me to Poor Mrs. Rigsby by Kathy Herman. Poor Mrs. Rigsby is Elsie Rigsby who is aged and suffers from confusion. She is living in a nursing home and has 3 shifts of attendants that take care of her and the other residents. Newest CNA Sally Cox has really taken liking to Elsie and spends as many extra minutes with her as she can during her shift.

Overtime Sally learns that Mrs. Rigsby's only family includes her no good son Harry and her grandson Jon. Jon has suddenly had a renewed interest in his grandmother and begins coming for frequent visits. Elsie tells Sally that her grandson is only after her money....money she bilked from her husband over years of working for him. It seems Elsie's late husband was a tightwad and involved in illegal activities. Can Sally really believe that Elsie (on Medicaid and seemingly penniless) has a hoard of money buried somewhere? Harry sure seems to think so as he visits his mother and demands she tell him where the money is located.

Now this is a long involved story so I won't go into the plot much more than that. I will tell you that the characters are well developed and that this story meanders a bit and then goes on roller coaster acceleration at times. I must admit I loved it. I haven't read any other books by Kathy Herman but I will be looking for them now. This was an original interesting tale filled with the reminder from the Bible that one cannot serve two masters. The principles of God's saving grace are beautifully woven into this story. Towards the end it seemed there would be no possible good outcome for anyone involved but.......well you better read all the way to the end. 

I hope you read Poor Mrs. Rigsby. If you do be sure to come back and tell me what you thought of it! 

I received a free copy of this book from the Blogging for Books program. All opinions are my own. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!