And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Teaching Shakespeare

I received a free copy of this book from the Blogging for Books program for the purpose of review. All opinions are my own. 

I haven't covered any Shakespeare works with my kids yet. Most of them are so beautiful but just cover so many topics they aren't quite ready for yet. I want them (especially Apple) to begin to get acquainted with Shakespeare (other than his role in The Lego Movie) but I wasn't sure where to begin. When I saw How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare by Ken Ludwig I was instantly intrigued.



I was hoping for a simple step by step book to introducing children to Shakespeare with appropriate passages and perhaps a lovely history of Shakespeare's life. That's not really what this book contains. It does includes many, many passages with very helpful suggestions to teach your children to memorize those passages. I wasn't looking for memorization of Shakespeare but I do like his suggestions for memorizing and I may put them to use for the children memorizing scripture.

Mr. Ludwig has a profound love for Shakespeare. His deep respect for Shakespeare's works is noted but perhaps what most of us would consider a bit overboard. That doesn't or shouldn't take away from the premise of introducing our children to Shakespeare. I think my biggest disappointment with this book is I just feel like many of the passages aren't appropriate for my kids and their ages. Some of the passages themselves are fine but to explain the piece I would need to include information that is above their age level. My advice is this, if you are looking for a book to give you some Shakespeare passages and some good tips for memorizing then check out How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare. He also includes a very nice timeline of the works of William Shakespeare. If however you are looking for ways to introduce younger kids to these works I'd suggest finding them elsewhere or on your own by digging through the plays yourself.

I received a free copy of this book from the Blogging for Books program for the purpose of review. All opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!