And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Into the World of Graphic Novels



I received a free book from Blogging for Books for the purpose of review. All opinions are my own.



I need to begin this review by telling you that I have no interest in comic books or graphic novels. Personally I have no interest at all. However I have one child that is super artistic and loves to learn all about everything and I have another child that loves to read graphic novels. I let you guess which is which.


Books= knowledge. Children= curious. Having a book like Words for Pictures: The Art and Business of Writing Comics and Graphic Novels by Brian Michael Bendis offers my children knowledge about an interesting field. Bendis is certainly an expert in the world of comics and he begins this book by explaining his quest for comic book knowledge as a child. He concedes that there was little written or taught on the subject at the time and so a lot of his skill and savvy was self taught or picked up at conventions. Now that he teaches college courses on graphic novels he has an idea of what interested people need to know about that world.


Bendis uses his experience to divide the comic book/ graphic novel industry up section by section and he explains each part. In the 7 chapters of the book, he goes into the art and business portions of this business. I also like that he lays it out plain and simple that riches and fame shouldn't be the primary goal of a budding comic book artist. He also includes PLENTY of amazing graphics from his own collection as well as those of other artists. The interview section of this book is great as well because the reader gets insight from various people in the industry.

All of that being said there are a few rough around the edges things in the book. I'm a prude and proud of it and I will be self editing some of the words and wording before I put this in a place where my kids can peruse it. I knew when I got the book that it might not be appropriate for them at their young ages but I do think it is a good resource for a less explored field of work. The thing is my Avengers loving child has already spotted the book with an "OH COOL!" exclamation. I think as parents of this generation we have more opportunity than ever to expose our kids to a full array of jobs, occupations, hobbies, and information. We should use it wisely and carefully.

 I want my kids to find their natural bent, their God given talents, and I want them to use them to His glory. Right now I have clues into their interests and strengths but I have no idea where God will take them or what type of profession he will put them in. I feel like it's part of my job to open up the world for them so they can learn about a variety of jobs, cultures, and pastimes. Even really cool ones like graphic novel art and writing.

I received a free copy of this book from Blogging for books for the purpose of review. All opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!