And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Little Critter Learns Some Life Lessons

I received a free copy of these books for the purpose of review. 

Do you ever have a day when you are just in a bad mood? A day when nothing is going your way and it seems like everyone is wronging you or everyone else has something better than you? Do your kids ever have days like that? The thing is I think we all have those types of days but when my kids are nagging and whining I have a hard time remembering how I feel on those days. I just want their whining to stop!

There are 2 new Little Critter InspiredKids board books available: Being Thankful and We All Need Forgiveness. Both of these are by Mercer Mayer and if you are like me you remember Mayer's Little Critter books from your own childhood. Little Critter is a grumpy dude at the beginning of both books.



In We All Need Forgiveness, he is having one of those days when things just aren't going his way. Everyone around him, including the family pets, seems to be contributing to his bad day by ruining his toy or making him drop his cookie. By the end Little Critter realizes sometimes he needs forgiveness too and that it's important to forgive others quickly. I love the moral of this book. I do wish there had been a moment when Little Critter told his friends and family he forgave them rather than just accepting their forgiveness. Overall though the story is sound and one that Speedy enjoyed. It's hard not to love all the detailed illustrations and fun expressions of Little Critter!




Being Thankful begins much the same way. Little Critter is longing for bigger and better things. He wants those new sneakers, new scooter, and big ice cream sundae. His parents try to explain he needs to be grateful for what he has but it falls on deaf ears. A trip to his grandparents' farm is just what he needs. He gets to experience the gratefulness of the animals at the farm and his grandparents give him a little life lesson and reminder about being thankful. I liked this book very much because not only did Little Critter learn a lesson, at the end he shares it with his sister too.


These books are both available in board book format and soft cover. You can see a preview of Being Thankful and We All Need Forgiveness by clicking the links.

I have a copy of each book to give as a set to one lucky reader! How awesome is that? I'm so excited to get to share these with you. So enter via the easy Giveaway Tools widget for your chance to win.



I received a free copy of these books from Tommy Nelson for the purpose of review. All opinions are my own.

2 comments:

  1. The best way I can demonstrate forgiveness to my children is to admit when I screw up and ask them for forgiveness. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately), this happens enough that they get good lessons on this. As for gratitude, when they show a lack of gratitude for the simple things, then the greater things are taken away for a time to help them realize the value of what they have. These things are not always successful, however, so I'm looking forward to reading what other people do too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with Jennie, the best way to teach is to live by example!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!