And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Practical Advice that Sticks

I received a free copy of this book from BookLook for the purpose of review. All opinions are my own.


I know many of you share similar lives to mine. Lots of you are stay at home moms or homeschooling moms that are fighting to raise your children to share your faith in God. And like me, most of you have heard the staggering statistics of young adults that leave the faith after high school graduation. So I'm sure you've spent much time on your knees praying to God that they will choose the narrow path. Perhaps like me you have Proverbs 22:6 on your heart and mind often.

There are so many parenting books out there. They can be overwhelming. I've reviewed many for you here on the blog. Some that are amazing, some with a few good points, and some that felt like repeats of others. Today I want to tell you abou Dr. Kara E. Powell's book The Sticky Faith Guide for Your Family. So evidently this is like a sequel to Powell's book with Dr. Chap Clark titled Sticky Faith. I have not read the first book but it seems to be geared towards high school kids and youth groups and how to ensure their faith sticks as they move on to college or the workplace. Powell took part of the work from Sticky Faith and her work at Fuller Youth Institute (FYI) and a whole lot of interviews with a whole lot of families to compile Sticky Faith for families.

Simply put: this is what you've been waiting on. This book to give you ideas (so many ideas) on ways to incorporate your faith into the everyday life and workings of your family, to encourage you (because I guarantee most of you incorporate lots of these ideas every day already), and to help you set goals (she recommends beginning with 2-5 and I think that's perfect) is what you've needed. I love it. I quoted from it on Facebook and in conversations several times already. I felt so pleased when I came across things we already do and I felt so challenged by so many of the ideas, things I just haven't thought of. Like anyone else I was also able to identify a few that just wouldn't fit our family or work into what we are striving to teach our kids.

There's even a Sticky Faith family portion of the website here. I think one of the things that impresses me the most is that Dr. Powell isn't just looking to sell a book or sell you on her ideas. She'll be the first to tell you that most of these ideas and stories come from other people. She obviously has a real heart for giving kids faith for life. I have to tell you the idea of my kids going into a youth group scares me. We have a wonderful friend that was an AMAZING youth pastor and we could envision our kids learning from him but then God called his family to Africa. The youth group at our church needs some new life. It needs some ambition. It needs a lot more Jesus. I feel good that I now have the Sticky Faith resources to help when we get to that level. I may not be a youth group leader but I can certainly be a youth group sponsor! If you are a youth group leader or sponsor or know one I encourage you to point them in the Sticky Faith direction. They need to start equipping kids in better ways to be prepared as they step out into the adult world. What we've been doing hasn't been working. It's time for a re-boot.

Sticky Faith for families includes Biblical principles and wisdom and tried and true family methods for working that faith into your family. If you want your child to live for Jesus then you have to start living our your faith in Jesus right now. I encourage you to start with your Bible and read The Sticky Faith Guide for Your Family as a supplement.

I received a free copy of this book from BookLook for the purpose of review. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!