And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Fall into Christmas


The leaves are swirling to the ground, the air is cooler (well most days....), pumpkins are everywhere, and I have a delightful new autumn candle burning. Yes fall is here!

While I savor fall and my favorite fall things, my mind is already focusing on the holidays. I'm the planner/ organizer in the family and they'll be quick to tell you that I'm already writing down dates and making plans. Christmas is such a beautiful time of year and I will be ready when it gets here! 

I received a free copy of this book from BloggingforBooks.org. All opinions are my own. 

As a little teaser for myself I read Where Treetops Glisten by Tricia Goyer, Cara Putman, and Sarah Sundin. Maybe you're wondering how a book can have 3 authors. Well let me tell you that this book is unique! It is actually a compilation of 3 stories- one by each author. I wondered how well the stories would flow with 3 authors. I shouldn't have worried. 



White Christmas by Cara Putman tells the tale of Abigail Turner during World War II. Sweet, good natured Abigail works part-time making candy for the local candy store and the rest of her time is spent in college. When her professor challenges the class to tackle their greatest fear as a graded project, Abigail feels anxiety. How can she open herself up after so many losses? Her fears come from the deaths of loved ones....what kind of project can help her overcome that? When Abigail meets Jackson he is in need of assistance. She feels drawn to help him and she gets her attorney father to work on his behalf. Can the Turners keep Jackson's family from losing their farm? Will Abigail find a way to overcome her fear of loss? Can she open herself up again? 

I'll be Home for Christmas by Sarah Sundin is about Abigail's brother Pete. He is a pilot home for a short break during the war. It's hard for Pete to return home. Growing up he was a bully and trouble maker. He's changed so much since then but can anyone in town see the new Pete? Will they forgive him for the things he did in the past? When he takes home a little girl he finds in the streets he's surprised to learn that her mother is Grace Kessler- one of the girls he taunted and teased as a child. Pete has been advised to give as a way to overcome the emotional numbness that engulfs him. Can he give of himself to Grace? Will she accept his help? 

Tricia Goyer penned Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas. It is the story of Merry (the sister of Pete & Abigail). Merry is in the Netherlands, near the battle lines, serving as a nurse. Merry still can't let go of the pain caused when her boyfriend abandoned her before she was sent overseas. How could the love of her life up and leave her like that? He was of German descent. Was he a German spy all along? While Merry finds herself grieving the loss of life in the temporary medical area, the loss of her David plagues her more. When Merry has to face the pain head on can she handle it? Is it a gift from God or a horrible twist of fate? 

I loved all of these stories. They are each beautifully written and I think having a different author for each one added to the book as a whole. Each main character had a different voice, style, feel because a different author was giving life to each one. The stories are intricately woven together yet each stands on its own. The details in the book give way for a very vivid mental image as you read each story but they aren't overwhelming. At times I felt like I was in Lafayette, Indiana with the Turners watching the snow and smelling the scent of pine. It's the kind of book that you lose yourself in as you read it and that makes you feel a little disappointed when you return to reality. 

If you're ready to enjoy a little Christmas, go for a visit with the Turner family. 

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for review. All opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!