And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Homeschool Resources as Your Children Get Older

As my kids get a little older and we continue to homeschool, I'm finding that I need different types of resources. In the beginning homeschool classrooms need lots of manipulatives and flash cards. Now that we are doing 2nd and 5th grade we need a different caliber of resources. Don't worry we still have plenty of puzzles, crayons, markers, and such!

Earlier this year I had to invest in a good dictionary. Apple had been using an old dictionary that Hubby & I had along with a cheap small dictionary I picked up somewhere along the way to supplement the other one. We found that many of the words the kids needed to look up were not included in either dictionary. Apple has an extensive dictionary on her Kindle but she prefers a book in her hand. I found a highly recommended dictionary on Amazon and it has made a huge difference in our school time. She also has a decent thesaurus for the all important synonyms and antonyms. Our history curriculum uses a lot of maps and so I purchased the kids a Biblical Map Atlas. These resources are certainly more mature than our happy little flash cards.

I received a free copy of this Bible dictionary from BookLook in exchange for my honest review. 

I've found that we also need a good Bible dictionary. I've never owned a Bible dictionary before but I'm really glad that we have one now. The Nelson's Illustrated Bible Dictionary is HUGE y'all. Like really big and really heavy. I feel like you should know that because I was very surprised by the size and heft. It contains over 1,200 pages of information.



Let me give you an overview of what all is included:

*Definitions of many, many Biblical words along with descriptions of notable people and places

*Full color illustrations on most pages {Want to know what a ziggurat looked like? There's a pic on page 1217.}

*Several maps in the back of the book

*Teaching Outlines for people of the Bible like Amos and Esther

*Teaching Outlines for books of the Bible

*Timeline

*Table of Contents for all the charts, outlines, maps, etc.

*A multitude of charts like "Pagan Gods Mentioned in the Bible"

This is so much more than just a Bible dictionary. I got it for the kids to look up words during Bible study but now I'm excited to have it as a resource in my own study time. This Bible dictionary would be an amazing gift or resource from any minister or Sunday School teacher. It contains so much information that it will be a valuable tool for years to come.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Bible dictionary reference! We have been homeschooling for 8 years and every year I find something that drops off because it is too young, and something that has to be added as my daughter gets older. Our two constants are our core curriculum and Vocabulary and Spelling City (www.spellingcity.com) because we can make our own spelling and vocabulary lists regardless of the grade, subject, ,or literary work. Love it! Two things we have had to add along the way are a good globe, and a microscope. I hope that thing is going to last through high school because it was expensive! Good luck in your ongoing homeschool journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard great things about Spelling City. I am looking into it for 2014-2015. Yes a globe and microscope! I've been pricing both of those recently! Good luck to you as well. :)

      Delete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!