And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Monday, November 24, 2014

Full of Holes #colander12

I received this product free from Tomoson.com for the purpose of review. All opinions are my own.


Do you cook a lot during the holidays? I do. We aren't having any gatherings at our house this year but I like to take a couple of dishes wherever we go. Each year I pick a couple of recipes and make them to take everywhere. This year it's Eclair Pie and fruit salad. Both are very easy and travel well.

Eclair Pie

1 tub chocolate frosting (heat in the microwave without the lid or metal seal for 1-1.5 minutes to melt)
1 box graham crackers
2 boxes french vanilla Jello
1 tub Cool Whip
3 cups of milk

Blend the milk slowly with the Jello powder. When it is well blended, fold in the Cool Whip. Line a 13 x 9 pan with a layer of grahams. Spread 1/2 of pudding mix on. Put on another layer of grahams. Spread the rest of the pudding mix on top. Lay one more layer of graham crackers. Pour melted frosting on top and spread out where needed. Cover and refrigerate a few hours.

Fruit Salad

This is how my grandma always made fruit salad. It isn't even really a recipe but just a great idea! You can add or subtract any fruit you'd like. I personally prefer to throw in some chopped pecans too but I have one child that doesn't like them so I refrain.

1 tub of Cool Whip
3-4 large apples peeled, chopped, and tossed in some lemon juice (to prevent browning)
Grapes (washed and drained)
1 can pineapple chunks (drained)
1 can mandarin oranges (drained)
mini marshmallows
shredded coconut

Mix it all together. Watch it disappear.



Want to know what new tool is really going to help me with that fruit salad? The Bellemain Micro-Perforated Stainless Steel 5 Qt. Colander. I have been using 2 plastic colanders for forever. Neither one has nearly enough holes. You know the kind? I put something in to drain and then I have to roll it around in the colander to get all the water or juice out. Not the case with this Bellemain colander! It has sooooo many holes that any liquid immediately drains right out.


I made a mexican casserole for dinner the other night and look at how easy it was:



I opened cans of corn, olives, and iced tomatoes with green chiles and tossed them all into this HUGE (but not so big it doesn't fit in the sink) colander. I poured all those ingredients into a bowl.



Next I browned my ground beef then used my colander to drain the grease off into a bowl. I returned the beef to the pan and cooked it with some taco seasoning. 


Next I mixed a can of refried beans with the veggie/ corn mixture in the bowl. Then I layered that mixture with tortillas and the ground beef until my pan was full. I topped it all off with some shredded cheese and cooked it until the cheese was melted. My family then devoured it before I could get a picture of the final product! 

The Bellemain colander made a difference because:

*It is large enough to drain several things at once
*The sturdy ring base lets it sit securely on any flat surface including in the sink
*The numerous holes allow all the liquid to drain out quickly and efficiently
*Those holes are small so your food won't slip through them
*It is dishwasher safe! This is a must
*The stainless steel is pleasing to the eye and ensures the colander won't rust, melt, or warp

I am happy to trade my old plastic colanders for this sturdy one with handles. Now I feel comfortable teaching my daughter to drain hot noodles. I know this one won't tip over on her. 

This Bellemain 5 Qt colander would be a wonderful Christmas gift for the cook in your life!


I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!