And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Instilling Confidence and Truth in Teen Girls #10Truths

I received a free copy of this book from Tommy Nelson in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.





I think we can all agree that being a tween/ teen girl has unique difficulties. Apple is at the very beginning edge of tweendom and already the drama and mood swings and cliques are unsettling. Lots of days I feel inadequate to provide the guidance and direction she needs through this age. I didn't grow up in a Christian home and during my teen years I was usually navigating life on my own. I never want Apple to feel that way. I want her (and her friends) to have clear goals and paths from here until adulthood.

So many parents take the passive notion that some things are just part of growing up- a poor parent/ child relationship, multiple relationships beginning at a young age, experimentation with alcohol and drugs. I personally know many amazing families that have brought up kids and teens that didn't have to deal with those roadblocks on the path to adulthood. I want my relationship with my kids to be just as strong when they are teens and I want them to stay true to themselves and to their relationship with Christ no matter what age they are.

So I will take all the help I can get! Kari Kampakis is a blogger who wrote a post about truths girls need to know. It went viral and now Kampakis has turned that post into her book 10 Ultimate Truths Girls Should Know. This book is such a fresh breath of air. Kampakis has written this book directly to your girls. She tackles so many topics from popularity to purity to modesty and it is in a loving way. She gives practical advice and carefully explains the consequences of poor choices in each area. Y'all this book is so good. I found some tidbits I needed to hear myself! Even if you are in the midst of a struggle with your teenage daughter, I encourage you to get a copy of this book. I'm so excited to put my copy back for Apple (she'll probably be ready for it around the age of 12) but to be honest there are a couple of sections I may sit down and show her as topics come up.

This is a beautiful guidebook for teen girls. It will increase their self-confidence, give them answers to some of the tough questions, and hopefully help them to set goals and expectations for themselves. We know teens want to make their own decisions and so we need to give them the tools to do so wisely. Nothing will ever take the place of a strong relationship with Christ and a solid relationship with parents that includes an open floor for discussion. However this book is an excellent tool. I am so thankful to Kampakis for putting to paper what so many of us have in our heads but aren't quite sure how to relay it to our daughters.

Do you have a daughter who needs to read this? It would be a lovely Christmas gift. I have 1 copy to give away to a reader! Enter via the easy Giveaway Tools widget.


4 comments:

  1. I'd love to check this out. I think we did ok with our almost 18 year old, but I can see we should have been more open much earlier. In any case, we are the old, out of touch parents so maybe a cool book all of her own would help too.
    I'd want all my kids to know that God designed them with special talents and skills. He doesn't expect them to fit anyone else's mold. Be confident in your abilities and use them where He guides you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good book and yes, parents of teens need all the help they can get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great book that all girls should have to read! I think it has some great insights!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think STAY TRUE TO YOURSELF is a truth every teen should know =)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!