And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Lady Underdog

I received this book free from BookLook Bloggers in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own.




I love a good underdog story. Sarah E. Ladd's new book A Lady at Willowgrove Hall is full of underdogs. Cecily Faire has lost her mother and is looking for a fresh start to her young life. Her drunken father foils her plans of escape and instead of the bright future she imagined, she finds herself in a boarding school for girls with all ties to her family severed. She could have let those unfortunate events dictate her life but instead she perseveres and finds herself a lady's companion at Willowgrove Hall. Even this dream job comes with unforeseeable challenges. Can Cecily continue to overcome?

Nathaniel Stanton is the steward of Willowgrove Hall, and he has suffered his own challenging circumstances too. His future is uncertain and the stresses he carries are threatening to be his undoing. How will the arrival of a pretty new lady's companion change his life?

I pretty much gobbled up this book. I read it in a day. It was the perfect escape from all the Christmas stress. This fictional story set in England in 1819 was perfect for a Downton Abbey fan like myself. This is book 3 of Whispers on the Moor but it stands alone well. I have not read any others from Sarah E. Ladd. I can say after this one I am a Ladd fan! This book has tragedy, hope, mystery, romance, intrigue, and so much more. There are a variety of characters of every age and many different societal positions. Their stories weave in and out with one another as a singular narrative begins to develop. I appreciate the attention to details about fabrics, gardens, the grounds, and more that are just descriptive enough without being boring. Those details really add to the setting of this story.

If you enjoy historical gentle reads then I think you will like A Lady at Willowgrove Hall. It would make a perfect last minute gift for the reader in your life!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!