And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Prepping for the New Year

Because the rush and hustle during Christmas isn't busy enough, I like to start preparing ahead for the new year as well. That was sarcasm by the way. Someone really does need to invent a sarcastic font. Back to my topic, I take it a little at a time but I find that the new year isn't nearly as overwhelming if I do a little extra organizing and planning BEFORE it arrives.



Now of course some of you work better on the fly or in a crunch. I am not one of those people. I get overwhelmed when things are in disarray. So since this weekend was basically an at home working weekend, I took the opportunity to work on some planning. I pulled out my shiny new Chick-Fil-A calendar (if you don't have one yet you need one- the monthly deals are well worth the price) and my 2014 calendar and transferred birthdays and anniversaries. Since I was feeling particularly OCD, I went ahead and filled in paydays and Hubby's shift changes as well. I have some cool new colorful markers that I used to color code the different types of entries.

This calendar stays in my kitchen close to my GIANT whiteboard. I glance at it a couple of times a week to stay ahead on birthdays and anniversaries although I will admit I have missed some the last couple of months. Sorry if I missed yours. It's been CHAOTIC at the Carter household. I also keep a calendar on the wall in the homeschool room. In particular, Speedy has been very interested in the calendar lately. He tends to be a bit......"organized" as well and likes to count ahead to various events.

Along with my calendar efforts, I took time this weekend to tackle our 2015 budget. This is something we intend to be more diligent with this year, and I LOVE the clean slate feeling of a brand new year. We work hard to be proactive in so many areas of our lives and now it is time for us to take a more proactive stance with our finances. If you are looking over your calendar, budget, or other planning areas, I encourage you to spend much time in prayer alone and with your spouse as you work out goals. There can be no real success in any area of life without God's hand.

I will admit I feel an ease and a peace about 2015 knowing that I have done some prep work. Now as we begin new sports seasons and consider activities, we will have a good starting point. What do you do to plan ahead for the new year? Or are you a nonplanner? Hubby is a nonplanner so we balance one another well.

We also did some serious cleaning here at the Carter house today. Next week begins Christmas parties and fun times and I wanted to get as many responsibilities as possible out of the way this weekend. I may or may not have went on a tiny Mommy rant and thrown out some puzzles that were missing pieces and were in total disarray. Hey gotta make room for those Christmas presents somewhere!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!