And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Thursday, January 22, 2015

A Book a Week

I received a free copy of this book from BookLook bloggers in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own. 


If you didn't grow up in church, it can be difficult to "catch up" on the Bible and all of its stories. Starting church as an adult can be intimidating. You don't know the lingo. You don't understand all the parables. You haven't been memorizing verses your whole life. Even the songs are new. Although I went to church on and off my whole life, when Hubby and I really gave ourselves over to the Lord and started attending church every week, I felt behind. No one said anything, of course, but I so wanted to be familiar with the Bible and every word inside of it.

Some people would think new Christians could just open up the Bible and start reading to catch up. It isn't that easy though. There are different versions and the language can be hard to understand. Adults don't always have a lot of free time for Bible reading. Plus it can be embarrassing to admit you've never read the Bible. Stan Guthrie has written a book that I believe will help Christians, new and old, to get a good overview of the Bible.



God's Story in 66 Verses is Guthrie's synopsis of the Bible. He has carefully studied each book of the Bible and he gives one verse that he feels is the most important from each one. Basically in 66 chapters this book sums up God's whole story. In each chapter, he gives a short summary of the book and he gives the verse he feels is the "meat" of the book.

I like this book and this concept so much that we are using it in our Sunday School class. Hubby and I sort of co-teach this class of couples close to our age. We've done lots of parenting, marriage, and life studies with this class the last 3 years. I've wanted to find something to really get us into the Bible, and I think this is it. Each week we will focus on one book of the Bible. The idea is to scan through the book during the week and find a word or verse to sum it all up. On Sunday morning, we discuss what we all came up with as well as what Stan Guthrie says in this book. Reading a whole book, or even scanning it, can be overwhelming but I have found listening to the book with a Bible app on my phone while getting ready in the morning is a FANTASTIC way to get in the word!

So if you'd like to challenge yourself to work through the whole Bible in an overview manner, find a copy of God's Story in 66 Verses. What do you think of this idea? What would your verse be for Genesis?

1 comment:

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!