And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Monday, January 12, 2015

Budget Battle



So we are a couple of weeks into our new Intentional budget. So far things are going well. I have made a couple of unnecessary purchases but I can tell you that immediately afterwards I felt the sting of my choices. While the purchases were small and didn't throw our budget off at all, I knew right away that the money I spent could have been used more wisely. No fear! I will not give up or be thrown off course! Determination is on my side and I feel like the realization of those small mistakes is a big step in the right direction.

Now as I've said we've been frugal for a long time in many areas. I wanted to share some of my favorite frugal tips and then let you in on a couple of new ideas.

*Cut cable. We use an antenna for local channels and pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime. Cable and satellite monthly fees are ridiculous and are totally optional! If you are looking for ways to trim your expenses I suggest you start with cable. I think you will find that you don't watch television nearly as much as you think you do. If you don't want to buy an antenna check for your favorite new shows online. Many are free although you might have to wait a week or so after they originally air.

*Use the library. We are a family of readers. Both of my kids ALWAYS want new books they see at the store. Most of these books run $6-$10 each and they can easily read 3-5 books each per week. You see where I'm going with this. No one can afford that. We go to the library about once a week. We get books, audiobooks, and movies there. For free. And we return or renew them before they are due to avoid late fees. We also borrow and trade books with friends and shop for used books when we can.



New things we are trying.....

*We got a filtering water pitcher. We moved from a house with a well to a house with city water and my family does not like the chlorinated flavor of our new water. We were buying very inexpensive bottles of water at a warehouse but very inexpensive adds up over time. Buying the pitcher and replacing filters is cheaper. Even less expensive? I drink the water straight from the tap. I adjusted the the flavor after a short time.

*Walmart Savings Catcher App. I resisted this app for awhile. It feels a little like I'm being stalked when I have to scan my receipt into my phone and why doesn't Walmart just give me the best price instead of making me use an app and wait for a "refund"? Well I'm still not satisfied about those things but I had friends getting $$ back so I decided to try it. So far my "refunds" are nothing to shout about but every dollar counts! I'm going to keep trying it.


Have you made any changes in 2015 for the sake of financial health?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!