And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Hear the Battle Cry!!!

I received a free book from Tyndale Blog Network in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own. 

I hinted in my Intentional blog about our budget plans for 2015. We have been thrifty people for a long time but several job losses and other unintended events have left us with a pile of debt. It didn't come from anything exciting. If you look back at our bills and statements most of our debt came from regular living, simple purchases, dining out, and other incidentals. Our balance isn't huge but it is out of control and we want it to stop right now. We'd like to buy a home and we can't be in a position to do that on our income until we end this debt cycle. So we've tried a few different tactics in the past, actually we've even been completely debt free before, but now we are ready to assign a plan to each of our pennies.



This was the perfect time for me to read Slaying the Debt Dragon by Cherie Lowe. Her story sounds a whole lot like ours (I'm so thankful that our red number is much less than hers was at the beginning of her journey). Their debt racked up from normal every day life as well. Her story of perserverance and common sense decisions is so inspiring. She gives practical advice and loads of encouragement throughout the book. The Lowes listened to Dave Ramsey and incorporated some of his principles but really made their debt slaying journey their own. I love that she recommends making a visual debt count down aid. I did one for us and it is hanging up so we see it every day. I want to always remember why we are going to a cash budget. She also gives great information about surviving birthdays and holidays and lots of advice on grocery shopping. Groceries and dining out are definitely our two biggest downfalls.

Just as the book recommends, we are making the debt free journey our own. We have a plan for this year and some short term goals and long term goals. My biggest focus right now is having a plan for all of our money, every penny, so that I don't freak out and overspend in a moment of weakness. I ask for your prayers for our family in this area. We can't do anything without God and Cherie Lowe attributes her success to Him as well. She shares so many meaningful Bible verses throughout her book.

If you are beginning your own budgeting or debt free journey, I'd love to hear about it. I recommend you read Slaying the Debt Dragon for encouragement and good ideas. You can also find Cherie Lowe on her blog where she reigns as the Queen of Free.

2 comments:

  1. This review was such a blessing, friend. Thank you for your kind words. Grace+peace as you embark on your Debt Slaying Journey! I just know God has big plans for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The journey to a debt-free life is full of self-control and discipline. It’s important to determine the basic needs of the family, and steer clear of some luxuries. Keeping a journal will also help you a lot in tracking your income and expenses, as well as the payment you’ve done in the past. Anyway, I’m glad that you were able to learn a lot from Lowe’s story. I hope you’ll be able to slay the debt dragon as soon as possible. I wish you all the best!

    Carlton Mclaughlin @ TFSN

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!