And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Friday, February 6, 2015

More Soup for You!

Meals are tough. They are hard for home school families. They are hard for stay at home moms. They are hard for working parents. They are hard for single parents. It is difficult to find enough time in the day to cook, clean up after cooking, eat, shop, and repeat. Restaurants are big business but eating out is expensive, and quite frankly it is usually not good for you or your kids. What is a mom to do?

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own. 

A few years ago, some friends and I did a short lived freezer meal exchange. I really loved doing it! We would make large quantities of freezer meal and then exchange. One afternoon of cooking equaled a week or more of meals. Plus there was a variety in eating meals made by another mom. Had my friends and I lived closer to each other I think our little exchange would have lasted longer. Being on different schedules and living in 4 different directions made it hard to keep it together. Courtney Allison, Tina Carr, Caroline Laskow, and Julie Peacock came up with a similar idea. They are neighbors who started a soup exchange. The four of them took turns delivering meals to one another in the form of soup. From their idea came The Soup Club Cookbook.



I expected this to be an all soup cookbook, but I was pleasantly surprised. There are plenty of soup recipes (hot, cold, meat, broth,etc) contained in these 240 pages. Hearty, pureed, seafood, chili? There's a soup for everyone. I have so many I want to try! From their take on classics like chili and Chicken Tortilla soup to new ideas like Post- Thanksgiving Turkey and White Bean Soup, I'm certain you will find recipes you will be interested in as well. I must give my standard cookbook disclosure that there are some recipes in here that call for ingredients I've never heard of before. Maybe substitute something more southern in place of sunchokes......Many of the recipes call for herbs. I need to get my herb seeds going ASAP!

I am most excited about the salad dressing recipes in here! They are all very exciting. There are also some salad and side dishes included. If you enjoy cookbooks, soup, trying new things, laughing at ingredients you've never heard of, and/ or taking meals to others then this is the cookbook you need to put on your wish list. Warning: These recipes are intended to feed a crowd (like 4 families) but with a little math you should be able to taper it down. I'd recommend freezing the extra portions if you aren't planning to exchange them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!