And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Friday, February 6, 2015

Spark Their Interest in History

I have always enjoyed studying history. In high school, I received an award my senior year for taking so many history classes. I've found the best way to get my kids interested in various time periods and events in history is to find the right book. Or let them watch Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure....but I'd never do that....ahem. 

I received a free copy of this book from BookLook in exchange for my honest review. 

Patriots, Redcoats, and Spies is a fiction book about twin brothers that become accidental messengers during the American Revolution. Lamberton Clark, father of the 14 yr old boys, is a Patriot and spy. When he is shot while retrieving a message for George Washington, he must send his boys to the general with the secret document.



This book is action packed. From the first pages, the chase is on. John and Ambrose must travel carefully and trust no one. This fictional story contains quite a bit of real history from figures like General George Washington, to reference to the the Culper Spy Ring, to places like Kings Ferry. The glossary in the back of the book is helpful to kids who are just beginning to learn about the American Revolution. 

Exciting stories like these are the perfect way to pique your child's interest in history. Now that Apple has read this book she is seeking out more information on 1777 and the Patriots. I mean they won the Super Bowl and everything! (Just kidding. Really.) While we aren't specifically studying this time period in home school right now, when we get to this period she will already have a head start on some of the names and places. 

Robert J. Skead and Robert A. Skead are already working on book #2 of the American Revolutionary War series. An excerpt of Submarines, Secrets, and a Daring Rescue is included in the back of Patriots, Redcoats, and Spies

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers <http://booklookbloggers.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!