And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Rest

Genesis 2: 2-3  By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.


When our kids were little, Sundays always included a nap. We'd go to church, have a nice lunch, and then tuck them in for their afternoon nap. During the time they were both asleep, Hubby & I would nap or watch football or some other relaxing activity. Then we'd go to a night service or just enjoy an evening at home with the kids. Even when Apple grew out of the nap stage, we'd have her lay down for quiet time while Speedy took his nap. Somehow we've moved away from that. Speedy outgrew naps and we started going to a different church so our Sunday routine changed. Now Hubby works some Sundays, and Sunday has become a day to go to church and then come home and catch up on everything that needs to be done. 

A couple of things have happened recently to make me ponder our Sundays. First, a very wise friend told me she's using Sundays to rest. I'm positive this friend has plenty of housework and kid stuff she coul be doing on Sundays but instead she's following the Biblical principle of rest. Second, I realized just how tired I've been, and I told you all about it. 

When you work at home, home is not a particularly restful place. It's hard to sit and relax when there is a pile of laundry to be done, a sink of dishes, a pile of work, a list of reviews to do, and a pile of homeschool things that need attention. There's always a list of errands to run, a grocery list, a meal to be made, and on and on. I've felt a lot of stress lately over my never ending to do list. Even when we were out of town I felt the stress of the things I was NOT doing while I was gone. 

When I started praying about it, I remembered my friend's statement about rest on Sundays. I remembered that God gave us the example for a day of rest. I remembered all the Sundays we spent resting. I decided to give my Sundays back to the Lord. We will worship on Sunday morning and rest on Sunday afternoon and evening. My husband is very supportive of this plan. Even though he works some Sundays, he knows I need rest and he is much better at resting on his days off than I am. 

Today we picked up some foods that didn't require much prep for lunch and dinner. We had a nice lunch, and I sent the kids to rest while I laid on the couch. Now you know when we strive to follow a Biblical principle, we are met with resistance. My resistance today included the phone ringing many, many, many times and neighborhood children knocking on our door many, many, many times. I will not give up! I intend to continue to rest on Sundays. Hopefully we will work out the kinks and get better at it. I'm praying that it will translate into more peace during the week for us. Being busy all day every day certainly hasn't been working. 

Do you take a day of rest on Sunday? I'd love any tips you have to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!