And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Monday, March 23, 2015

The Orphan and the Hobo

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own.


Did you read Pippi Longstocking as a child? I did. I was always thrilled with her freedom and wild ideas. She was the opposite of me, and I just found her delightful. Did you know the author of the Pippi Longstocking books wrote other books for children? I didn't! Evidently Astrid Lindgren wrote many other books. I can't wait to find more for my children to read. Our first new Lindgren find was Rasmus and the Vagabond.



In this book, the 9 year old Rasmus is growing up in an orphanage. One day he decides to hit the road. When he runs away, he finds himself lonely and very afraid until he meets a hobo named Oscar. Oscar is an interesting character with a big heart. The two find themselves in some serious trouble. How can an orphan runaway and a vagabond prove themselves innocent?

This book is fantastic. It is fun and imaginative. It takes children far outside their normal world to a fantasy story that is just within the realm of possibility. Being inside that realm is what makes this story the most fun! My 10 year old daughter consumed this book and my son has already asked to read it as well. It's 180 pages and should be a good read for the mid to upper elementary crowd.

What was your favorite book or series as a child?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!