And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Thursday, March 26, 2015

What No One Tells You

I remember all the advice. ALLLLL the unsolicited advice I received while I was pregnant with our oldest. It seemed that everyone I encountered had some opinion on childrearing that they felt compelled to tell me.

*Always keep socks on them even when it's 105 outside

*Never feed them any solids before 6 months old

*Feed them cereal the minute they pop out

*Paci vs. no paci

*Keep it loud when they sleep

*Make it as silent as a tomb when they sleep

*Have another right away

*Never have another, 1 is plenty

You know. You've heard it all too. Now that I have a kid that's a whole decade old (how did that happen??), I reflect on what people never told me. Like that tired would be the norm. Evidently forever. I really thought I'd only be exhausted until I got them to sleep through the night. For a time that was almost true.

It isn't true anymore. I'm exhausted. Everyone I know my age is exhausted. Why didn't anyone tell us we'd be so tired???

Some are tired because they still have babies waking up during the night. Some are tired because someone in their house is always sick. Some are tired from working swing shifts. Some are tired from working more than 1 job. Some are tired because these short people ask 9 million questions a day and want to be fed continually all day long. All day. Every day.

Do you remember your parents being this tired? I don't but I'm sure they were. I do remember one friend's mom who continually looked a little glassed over. Now I know it's because she was so TIRED.



So if you don't have kids yet or are new to the parent game, let me warn you. You will be exhausted for a loooooooong time. It doesn't matter if you....

*Stay at home or work from home or work outside the home

*Breast feed or bottle feed

*Co-sleep or crib sleep

*Public school or private school or home school

*City or county

*Organic or non-organic

You're going to be tired. There's nothing you can do. It just will be. 1 kid or 19. T-I-R-E-D.

Just thought I'd give you a heads up because no one told me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!