And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Friday, May 15, 2015

Make Your Reservation



I was very excited to review the second book in Hillary Manton Lodge's Two Blue Doors series. Reservations for Two takes us back to the story of Juliette that began in A Table by the Window. Now she is in the midst of opening a restaurant with her brother Nico, and she is still trying to discover the history of the mysterious picture she found in her late grandmother's things. She takes off on a trip to France and Italy to find more information about her grandmother's past and to attend a special party for her Nonno.

Juliette's beau Neil joins her in Europe. Juliette lives in Portland, and Neil lives in Memphis. They haven't quite figured out how to make their long distance relationship work, but they have a strong connection. Soon enough the trip has ended and Juliette finds herself back in Portland, busy with the restaurant, without Neil, and very worried about her mother who is battling cancer. Her life is full of stress but she feels blessed by her close family, roommate and pastry chef Clementine, and her grandmother's dog Gigi.

Juliette takes a trip to Memphis in this book. I'm very familiar with Memphis and close to the area so I thought this would be a nice twist. While I enjoyed some of the familiar things of my region that were mentioned, I wasn't so thrilled with the line:

"But I wasn't ignorant; I knew Tennessee culture meant you went to church on Sunday morning, and if you didn't you were probably a godless heathen."

I'm pretty thick skinned and don't get offended often. In fact, I feel like we live in a world of over-offendedness. So I won't say this statement really offended me, but I do feel like it was harsh. This is a fictional book and meant to be taken as such, but when the author is writing about the Peabody Hotel and the humidity of the south and Corky's BBQ, then this statement feels like a true reflection of how the author thinks. I'd just like to say bless her heart.

I enjoyed this book but not as much as book 1 in the series. I don't like to leave things unfinished and this book felt like it ended abruptly, so I will for sure be looking to read book 3. If you are looking for an easy summertime read that is a gentle romance with some recipes thrown in, this is a book you will enjoy.

I received this book free from Blogging for Books in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!