And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Pang of Guilt

All the pictures are on Facebook. My newsfeed is dripping with photos of awards ceremonies, field day, presentations, and graduations. I rejoice with those that are rejoicing over the accomplishments of their children but a small pang of guilt is deep down. Are my children missing out on something important? Am I ruining their lives by homeschooling them? Will they ever feel worthy without the certificates and plastic trophies? 

I let that narrative run amuck for a day or two. It's been awhile since I felt like my kids were missing out on anything big by getting their education at home. Perhaps I feel it more strongly this year as Apple "graduates" elementary school and moves on to 6th grade. Then I realize even that is laughable. I didn't leave elementary until after 6th grade. Our middle school was 7th & 8th only. Now one local school system is thinking of going back to K-8th schools. The point is it is subjective. In my eyes, finishing each grade is a huge accomplishment that we should celebrate and we will. I did break down and buy her a little card to congratulate her. 

So if you are feeling the public school yearning, be of good cheer. Your kids are getting tons from homeschool and you won't regret it in the end. If you want, you can print them certificates or have trophies made or even buy a .97 card to congratulate them. If you are considering homeschool and feel deep concern over missing these activities, look for a local homeschool co-op. They often have field days and some groups organize graduations and end of the year ceremonies. 
 
Our school year is coming to a close (but we will be doing some work through the summer!). Are you finished with school yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!