And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Great Book for Tweens and Teens

It isn't an easy transition from toddler sized Bible story books to stories and devotionals for kids to appropriate Biblical material for middle schoolers. If they have studied the Bible since a very young age, then regular books of Bible stories can lose their attention. There are many good devotionals on the market for the tween crowd, but finding books for them to help them understand how to live out Christianity in their lives can be difficult. It can be difficult for adults too! I have had my kids read books about missionaries the last couple of years. We've recently read some aloud as a family too. When I got the opportunity to review Bonhoeffer: Student Edition: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy, I wondered if it would be above Apple's level. It wasn't!



She reads so many books, and we don't always spend a lot of time discussing them. When she was reading this book by Eric Metaxas, she was coming to me often sharing facts and asking questions. I love that! She told me several things that I didn't know. Once she was finished reading it, I read it too. This is a great book y'all. Dietrich Bonhoeffer grew up in Germany with a Jewish father and a Christian mother. It was a large family who learned about Christianity from their mother but rarely attended church. From this beginning, Dietrich went on to study theology and then found a faith that many around him didn't understand. His story is fascinating.

This is a great book for tweens and teens. It contains so much information, not only on Bonhoeffer's life but on Hitler and history too. It includes questions at the end of each chapter that would make it perfect for a study group. There is so much wisdom included in this book. The quotes from Bonhoeffer are great. His ideas seem so timely to today. He noted that in America the students had a "lack of seriousness" about God and the world. Bonhoeffer also stepped on toes in a church in Berlin by telling them it wasn't enough to just show up to church. Sounds relevant to today!

I received a free copy of this book from BookLook bloggers in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!