And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Saint Francis of Assisi

My God and My All: The Life of Saint Francis of Assisi by Elizabeth Goudge is an eye opening journey through the life of the saint. I recently received this book to review and I found myself wrapped up in the life of Francis whose beginnings were anything but humble. While I'd heard of him, I really knew very little about his life before reading this reprint of Goudge's 1959 book.



Saint Francis began a little order of brothers in the woods based on praying, working, healing, and teaching. His only desire in life was to follow the example of Christ. His path was not easy by any means. The brothers took vows not only of poverty but vows to own or possess nothing. They went about barefoot wearing cross shaped tunics. Francis felt a deep love for the lepers who lived near Assisi, and he spent much time serving them.

The author has done a lovely job reconstructing his life for us. She quotes his own writings as well as others who have written about him. She gives a vivid, detailed picture of his life from start to finish. The history of Francis of Assisi left me longing to spend more time in prayer seeking after God and that was the goal of Saint Francis most of his life.


I received a free copy of this book from Handlebar Publishing in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!