And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The Histories of Your Favorite Carols

The Carols of Christmas A Celebration of the Surprising Stories Behind Your Favorite Holiday Songs by Andrew Gant is the latest book I received for review. Although I've been working on Christmas shopping here and there it is a little early even for me to be enjoying Christmas carols. However I knew I would enjoy learning the history behind some of the most popular Christmas tunes.



The author has broken this book down into sections leading up to the Epiphany. He covers 21 songs in all from Advent on. Many of those songs were familiar to me like "O Little Town of Bethlehem" and "What Child is This?". Several were carols that I have never heard before. All of them included a lengthy history. Lots of the songs had more than one history since it is unknown where they first originated.

As expected, I found the historical footprints of these songs very interesting. The book involves quite a bit of musical speak that was unfamiliar to me, but it did not take away from the parts that I enjoyed. The verses of the songs, sometimes more than one version, are included which would be wonderful for family singing at home. While this book is written well above Apple's head, as my musically inclined child, I know she will enjoy flipping through to read the various versions of each carol.


I received a free copy of this book from BookLook bloggers in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!