And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Discipline



Staying at home with your kids takes more discipline than most people realize.  As a mom, you have to search deep within to find the patience it takes to spend all day with your kids. If you are homeschooling your kids, you have to dig deep to find a different sort of patience and understanding. Throw in blogging or working from home and you can quickly find yourself drowning under the pressure of it all.

While I'm certainly no expert, I have found a few tricks that help me stay afloat. First you are going to need to discipline yourself. It is easy and oh so tempting to hang out on the couch and binge on your favorite Netflix shows. That's not a good idea. At least not on a regular basis.

The first order you need is time in prayer and God's Word. I think that should be the high priority for any Christian but as a parent you especially need that extra time with the Lord. Doesn't matter if  you do it first thing in the morning or last thing at night. After awhile you will probably find yourself in prayer all throughout the day. Kids can lead you to that with their....cute quirks.

Personally I thrive on a schedule. I find that a schedule promotes order in our home. Maybe you aren't such a scheduled person. That's okay! However I would suggest at minimum a list of daily goals. When my kids were little my schedule consisted mostly of household chores and meal making. When I started working from home I had to add those times to my weekly schedule. Blogging was later added to the list. When we started homeschool, my schedule became a whole new thing and it changes from semester to semester. I still make it a point to schedule in cleaning and chores on a regular basis. Otherwise it would never get done! Now that we've settled in our home, I've reinstated the chores for the kids too.

Balance is another key. You can't work all the time without burning out! It can be hard to relax at home when home is your workplace. That's one reason I enjoy my kids playing sports. It gives us regular time outside the house so I am forced to just hang out. I have a great time watching them play and I don't feel pressured to get up and clean or work or lesson plan.

So to my friends who have recently asked me about homeschooling or working from home...this is my advice to you! Self control and balance will take you a long way. So will a little schedule making. Don't forget to schedule some free time to spend with our spouse or just hang out with your kids. Those little moments are the best, and I'm sure they are the ones I will miss the most when my babies are all grown up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!