And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Monday, November 2, 2015

A is for Acorn

I am going to *try* to blog through the alphabet over the next 26 weeks. I appreciate Through the Calm and Through the Storm and Adventures with Jude starting this linkup!


Blogging Through the Alphabet” style=


I was walking around my yard the other day thinking for the millioneth time that I am so grateful for the house we bought this year. I saw a tiny acorn lying on the patio. I guess now I know why we have so many friendly squirrels in the yard. Anyhow I picked up that little acorn and marveled at it. I'm always struck by the realization that one tiny acorn can grow into a big majestic oak tree. It is such an achievement for such a small thing to become something so great.



It made me think about my kids and how quickly they've grown. They seem so young in my mind but in reality they are not the little ones that need me as much as they did at one time. I know I will always appreciate all this time I've had to spend with them from staying at home with them when they were little to homeschooling them now. We have our share of bad days but there's no where else that I'd rather be.

As a mom it can be hard to wait to see the fruit of your labor. Potty training seems to take foooooorever but eventually they can handle all their bathroom needs on their own. Teaching them to correctly do a chore can seem exhausting but one day they get it and you won't ever have to show them again. Teaching them to read can seem like a huge hurdle until the day you catch them reading alone for pleasure. Just like the transformation of the acorn, watching your child grown from an infant to a toddler to a big kid can seem long at the time but soon enough you will look back and wonder where the time went.

God has great big plans for your little one just like He has great big plans for the little acorns. Trust in Him. 

I can't wait to see the great oaks that my little acorns will become!

5 comments:

  1. Lovely post, so encouraging, and so true. I have 3 older children who have grown so fast and are out of the house. My oldest is getting married this month. Still having trouble processing that. My younger ones are already growing up so fast. We are at different stages in their learning and all is a challenge, but I know it will be worth it.
    I am reading this post after a day of constant bickering (in fact they are sitting on the couch and love seat right now having quiet time because I couldn't take any more) and it has been quite the encouragement. Thank you.
    Can't wait to see what you share next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post, so encouraging, and so true. I have 3 older children who have grown so fast and are out of the house. My oldest is getting married this month. Still having trouble processing that. My younger ones are already growing up so fast. We are at different stages in their learning and all is a challenge, but I know it will be worth it.
    I am reading this post after a day of constant bickering (in fact they are sitting on the couch and love seat right now having quiet time because I couldn't take any more) and it has been quite the encouragement. Thank you.
    Can't wait to see what you share next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to believe how fast our little acorns grow! My oldest "acorn" now is bigger than me.

    Thanks for joining up with Blogging Through the Alphabet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, with so much truth. This past weekend my oldest son came home for a visit (his first since moving out on his own in May), and while it was SO hard to say good-bye to him again, I couldn't help but be proud and amazed at the young man he's become and how short the time has seemed since he was just a tyke.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, such a beautiful insight from a little acorn :) It's amazing how fast those acorn blessings grow up! Our girls are large in age gaps, so I'm seeing the branches grow and treasure every day.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!