And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Monday, November 16, 2015

C is for Change

Sometime around year 2 or 3 of our homeschool journey I found that Apple operated well with a set of 5 plastic drawers. She had a drawer for each day of the week to keep all of her books and school work. When she finished an assignment she would put it into the next day's drawer. She was much younger at the time and rarely did a subject every day. Over time as we've adjusted this system as needed and Speedy eventually received an identical set of drawers.



Amazingly enough all children are not the same. After a particularly difficult few days, it was clear some adjustments needed to happen. Even though some of the things we do in our school day are things we've always done, some of them weren't working. I should have seen it coming. I've regularly needed to adjust and change things for one student. However I don't like change so I guess I just avoid. Avoid. Avoid. AVOID! Until I can no longer avoid.



So last week we made some changes. Now one student has a whole new organization system. Rather than use the big drawers (which had just become full of nonsense) this student now has a basket with a folder or notebook for each subject. The drawers are gone and there is just this small wicker basket in the space. Said student is thrilled with the system and I really am praying this is a step towards independence for this child. 

It's only been a few days but so far things are working well. Rather than put all completed work in one basket this student is putting completed work back into the subject folder. Now everything is in one place and the pupil seems pleased with the streamlined method. As you can see, the other student is still quite happy with the drawers system, and that is okay with me!

How do you organize your homeschool?

This post is linked up with Through the Calm and Through the Storm and Adventures with Jude.
Blogging Through the Alphabet” style=

11 comments:

  1. We recently made some changes too! We went from a boxed curriculum to delight directed learning and library books! So freeing, and we all feel so happier. No fussing, no arguing, no stress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've often thought about making such a change. How's it going?

      Delete
    2. We do a mixture of all kinds of curriculum and spend lots of time at the library. My kids often choose to read in their spare time, but I'm pretty strict for our school time activities. I'd love to hear how your new approach is going as well!

      Delete
  2. I like the basket you are using. My daughter's materials are supposed to be on a shelf, but they don't often end up there. Maybe a basket for her would work better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone gave me 2 of those baskets when my kids were babies. I have used them for diapers, finished work, coloring books, and all sorts of other things. It is just the right size to hold workbooks and textbooks. :)

      Delete
  3. I keep a basket with our math and language arts materials next to "my" seat and just pull out what the kids need as they need it. Neither is really working independently yet, though I'm transitioning my oldest. We are fairly delight directed for our other subjects, so everything else is on shelves, in the art cabinet, or wherever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a HUGE bookshelf full of reading material and a closet of crafty supplies. The basket/ drawers are just for daily work. I keep all my teacher's manuals next to my desk. We just have stuff everywhere! :)

      Delete
  4. We're adjusting. I am trying to keep everything corralled at hubby's request. Currently, we're using giant 31-bag totes, one for each child, so we can move it around with us from room to room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love my 31 totes! We've tried different ways to organize over the years but a schoolroom with a system seems to work the best for us. It just needs to be tweaked every now and then.

      Delete
  5. Ours is basically organised chaos, but it seems to work for us! The more organised I try to be the less organised I become. So I gave up, and we are now merrily chaotic...but in a vaguely organised fashion!
    Your new system sounds fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Chaos reigns around here but I try to keep our school gear as organized as possible. It keeps me from melting down! And the kids too. :)

      Delete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!