And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Monday, November 30, 2015

Exhale


The holidays are no joke for grownups. This time of year is exhausting (the "e" I almost chose!). It can be so easy to slip into frustration, stress, or depression.

I find this time of year it is super important to take a few extra minutes a day just to exhale. Just time to get a good breath and let it go. Everyone has different methods of relaxing. For me it comes down to a few simple ingredients:

~Coffee....of course! Or some other soothing beverage. Perhaps a Dr. Pepper or hot tea? Those are my back up selections. When it is cold, a warm beverage has such a relaxing effect. Thus the reason Sheldon always offers it to friends in distress!

~Music....a good song or playlist can make a bad day into a good one. I'd love to make some recommendations for you here but that could take awhile. I really love so many different kinds of music. My playlists look like they were compiled by a multitude of people. I will say...my currents favorites are Christmas music (Michael Buble & Pentatonix have some excellent songs) and Adele (because Hello!). Music has a drastic effect on mood so if you are already feeling down, try something peppy! Put on some dancing music and turn that frown into a smile!

~Candle or Fireplace...until recently my only choice would have been candles. I love a happy little candle with an enticing (see another E word!) scent. I always have extra candles around this time of year because I love the fall and winter special scents and because they give me a little joy with each flicker. Now we have a fireplace and I'm quickly becoming addicted to it as well. From the smell of the wood burning to the warmth to the lovely glow...it is a mood lifter and definitely helps me relax.

~Clothing...I was tempted to just put sweatshirt or sweater here but I realized it goes beyond that. Put on some comfy clothes or your favorite raggedy robe. Whatever it takes to feel comfortable. Why sit around in discomfort? This of course is only for times when you are at home...without company...

The real point here is just to take care of yourself this holiday season. Don't lose yourself in the hustle and bustle of Christmas. Find the things you enjoy (pie? fudge? egg nog?) and spend a few minutes enjoying them as you exhale. As you are exhaling, spend a few moments with God in prayer and thank Him for the joy of the season.

I'm really enjoying this journey of blogging through the alphabet! Be sure to check out all the posts here:

Blogging Through the Alphabet” style=

6 comments:

  1. visiting from blogging the alphabet. All good ways to just chill out eh? For me it's read a book or spend time all on my own. :)

    I am Annette @ a net in time : http://anetintimeschooling.weebly.com/a-net-in-time-blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good book but I never get to read much this time of year. In January and February I try to catch up.

      Delete
  2. Some of the many things I like about winter as well and usually in short supply with all the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the truth! At least I can sip coffee while I hang out at the forum.

      Delete
  3. It can be so hard to remember to slow down and relax!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems like I spend the season running from pillar to post...I have to consciously stop and slow down.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!