And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Monday, December 21, 2015

H is for Hospitality




Hospitality. Some call it a gift. Google says it means "the friendly and generous reception and entertainment of guests, visitors, or strangers." As I've prayed the last few weeks over 2016, hospitality has come to mind again and again. I believe it is my word of the year! Some years I wonder if I will get a word and other years it comes early and often.

We know many people who are gifted at hospitality. Their homes are always open and welcoming. At times over the years, I think I've been close to achieving that level of hospitableness but there have definitely been seasons when I considered my home closed. Since we moved into this new home, we've had several opportunities to have company, and I've loved it!

I think my loose goal for 2016 will be a casual meal or game night once a month. We have plenty of friends we'd love to catch up with in this way. In my mind beautiful handwritten invitations will make the rounds. In reality I'll probably be texting invites by March! More than planned face to face time in real life, I'd like to be more open to last minute, casual gatherings and drop ins. Do you remember the drop in? They can be inconvenient, but now that it NEVER happens anymore I kind of miss it! 

If you know me outside of the internet, hold me to at least one invitation this year! Remind me that you want to come and hang out. You do want to come and hang out don't you? 

Do you have a word of the year? Have you discovered yours for 2016 yet? I say it every year but WOW time is flying by!


Hebrews 13:2 (NKJV)

Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some have unwittingly entertained angels.


Hospitality happens to be the perfect H word for Blogging Through the Alphabet. I'm linking up with Through the Calm and Through the Storm and Adventures with Jude. Make sure you hop around to the other "H" posts this week.



Blogging Through the Alphabet” style=

15 comments:

  1. Hospitality is a wonderful goal for 2016! I'd love to be close enough to come over and hang out some time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be fun! :) I don't have any local blogging friends.

      Delete
  2. Hospitality is definitely a gift! I hope you will be blessed by the times you open your home and share with others in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right in that some people are gifted with the hospitality gene. I'm not one of those people; I have to make an effort for hospitality to happen. I know that you will be blessed by having people over and strengthening your relationships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it but it was so much easier pre-kids and when my husband worked a regular schedule.

      Delete
  6. Hospitality is a gift. There are some people who are just phenomenal at it...I'm one who loves having people over, but I have to make the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I have trouble talking myself into making the effort, but it is always worth it.

      Delete
  7. Hospitality is a great word and goal for the year. I like the idea of casual so it is not putting pressure on to do it. I had the goal of having 12 people over last year so avg one a month. I think we had more than 12 till the year was done some for coffee, some for a meal or meeting, some for a night or two and some for a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job exceeding your goal! I'd like my goal to be hosting at least twice a month but I know there are months that won't be feasible to do that. So my aim is at least once a month. Hopefully I will exceed that. :)

      Delete
  8. What a great word, and great goal for the year! I love practicing hospitality too, but I definitely need to be more intentional about it or the weeks and months fly by without the invitations being extended. My husband and I have also decided on a once per month minimum of having company. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an admirable goal for the year. I struggle with hospitality, as well. Not because I don't enjoy it during the time but I stress prior to any kind of gathering. I don't know why but I do. I love the challenge you have extended to yourself and that fact that it is very concrete. I may try the once a month goal, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great goal! Hospitality is definitely something that is challenging for me! I love the plan you have set and pray your 2016 is blessed!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!