And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Monday, January 4, 2016

Jesus Said....

My Sunday School class has slowed down our reading of the Bible. Now that we are in the New Testament (just at the start of a New Year!), we are going to go a few chapters at a time rather than half or all of a book a week. We began this past week with Matthew 1-4. It was a shorter reading than I had become accustomed to but there is so much packed into 4 chapters! As I was reading it I was thinking about memory verses. We haven't focused on memorization much in our school time but I really want to implement that more.

As I read through the beginning of Matthew 4 and focused on Satan's temptation of Jesus, I realized there are 3 terrific memory verses right there. What words could be better to memorize than those spoken by Jesus?


So we will be beginning 2016 by learning the 3 reponses Jesus gave to Satan.


From Matthew 4:4 Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God. (NIV)

From Matthew 4:7 Do not put the Lord your God to the test. (NIV)

From Matthew 4:10 Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only. (NIV)

We know Jesus was quoting scripture we have in the Old Testament. These are simple verses that shouldn't take long to remember. I will post them in our school room and write them down for each of the kids. Once they can both quote one from memory, we will move on to the next one. Since we are studying Matthew right now, I'm sure I will be taking our next set of memory verses from it as well.

Do you memorize scripture in your homeschool or home? Do you have a favorite method for choosing verses or for memorization?

I'm sharing this post on Blogging through the Alphabet because J is for Jesus! Check out this fun weekly link up hosted by Through the Calm and Through the Storm and Adventures with Jude.




Blogging Through the Alphabet” style=

5 comments:

  1. I love your post. Thanks for sharing these beautiful scriptures. Have a wonderful day Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the 4 gospels! I read and reread them all the time. My children memorize scripture as part of their Heart of Dakota curriculum, but I also encourage independent memorization. My 10 year old and 13 year old have memorized Psalm 1, Pslam 2, and Psalm 23 so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What better verses to teach your kids than those Jesus used to fight off Satan, and then they will have them in their hearts and can fight him off by quoting the same verses. May God bless your intentions to add memorizing His Word a more purposeful part of your training!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great verses and ones I've rarely seen mentioned on lists of memory verses.

    I need to be more intentional about picking and memorizing scripture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Cristi. I need to be more intentional about memory verses. Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!