And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Monday, January 11, 2016

K



I KICKED around a bunch of K ideas the past few days. I thought about mentioning all the businesses around the area with "Klassy" in the name (that's for you J & H). I toyed with ideas for a "Keeping House" post or one about "Kids". I even thought of the old Xscape lyrics "Kick off your shoes and relax your feet...". In the end I've decided you'd probably rather read a Kindergarten post.

Time really does pass quickly. It seems like we JUST did Kindergarten but really it's been a few years. Both kids were at home for those years. Apple really did her K at age 4 when we pulled her from the public Pre-K program. She learned to read that year (really well!), and we enjoyed one another's company while her little brother went to a Mother's Day Out type program two times per week.

She enjoyed coloring and reading the most. We did some math, but it has never been her favorite. We used Hooked on Phonics Learn to Read program (with the DVDs), and it was a HUGE success. She finished up the Kindergarten and 1st grade levels that year. We were fairly laid back at that age. We did some school every day, and she enjoyed worksheets so we had lots of those.

Speedy also learned to read with Hooked on Phonics, but he took his time. For Kindergarten, he did the K levels. He has always enjoyed math, and he jumped right in Math U See Alpha that year. I do have all his curriculum for PreK and K listed on my curriculum tab. He's never been a big fan of coloring or worksheets so we tried to keep those to a minimum. He also took more time with writing although we practiced letters a lot that year. His time was a little more structured because big sister was doing more school that year.

I must say I miss those years! I know at the time I constantly worried if I COULD even homeschool my kids, but our time was more relaxed back then. I worked less and we had more free time! However I love that my kids are more independent now, and they are both so smart! Not that I am biased....


I'm adding this fun K post to Blogging Through the Alphabet with Through the Calm and Through the Storm and Adventures with Jude.



3 comments:

  1. How fun! We've done Kindergarten twice too. It's such a delightful age!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my lad was younger I didn't worry about schooling at all.. now that he's older I wonder when I'll start messing it all up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have such great homeschooling Kindergarten memories with my kids (and first grade memories for my oldest because we didn't start homeschooling until then).

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!