And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Monday, January 18, 2016

Love


This week Blogging Through the Alphabet is on "L". Love seems an appropriate L word for the week. It's almost Valentine's Day and we just finished Christmas which is really a celebration of the love God showed us by sending His son Jesus. Soon it will be Good Friday and Easter when we will remember the ultimate sacrifice from Jesus out of His love for us.

This morning in Sunday School, our discussion meandered all around topics of love. We are studying Matthew and you can't help but see all the love Jesus shared when healing people and driving out demons. Even when speaking to those who were against him, he was firm but loving in his reponses. Then we began discussing parenting. In particular parents who allow and even encourage their children to "date" or have "girlfriends/ boyfriends" as young as 8 or 9. We couldn't help but feel sadness at the social media pictures of girls as young as 11 attempting to look like grownups. I'm so glad we are surrounded by other parents in the class who share the same values we do.

In a world that currently seems to embrace the "hook up culture", I want to guard my children's hearts and minds. I want them to understand that love comes from God and that scores of "relationships" too early won't have a positive impact on their lives. I want them to understand healthy relationships.

Our discussion also included more talk about parents that don't set limits or seem afraid to tell their children "no". What is that? So many parents fall under the lies of "they'll do it anyway" or "I can't stop them". WHAT? Parents if you believe those lies, please get your household in order. True love, real love isn't afraid. It isn't being scared to guide someone in the right direction. Jesus came and guided out of love. He sent people away to "SIN NO MORE". He pointed out the things they were doing wrong and misinterpretations. He did those things out of LOVE. Loving someone doesn't mean embracing their bad ideas.


Matthew 22: 36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
I'd want those around me to guide me in the right direction if I were going astray. I'd hope that's the love they would show me. 


I'm linking up with Through the Calm and Through the Storm and Adventures with Jude.


Blogging Through the Alphabet” style=

4 comments:

  1. This is a great post! I always explain to my children that I discipline them and say "no" sometimes because I love them. It's a hard concept for kids to understand, but it's true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving definitely requires making the hard decisions at times. May God keep giving you the strength to do that if it means honoring Him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Love is powerful, but it must have boundaries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate the way you pointed out that Love isn't afraid to stand up for what's right. "Love finds no joy in unrighteousness, but rejoices in the truth."

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!