And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Sunday, February 21, 2016

An Intriguing New Book by Kim Vogel Sawyer {Review}

Kim Vogel Sawyer's newest book released earlier this month. The book, Room for Hope, is a story of harship and mercy. Neva Schilling is enjoying her life with her 2 twins and her husband. He's out on the road every other month collecting goods for their store, but she's pleased with the lives they've worked hard to make. Then a deputy from a nearby town arrives to tell her that her "brother" (actually her husband) and his wife have died and left her custody of their 3 children. How can she tell her twins what their father has done? Will she be able to look at these other children or will she send them to an orphanage?



This story! Can you imagine? I knew reading the blurb about it that this story would hook me, and it did. The shock of all this is laid out at the beginning and the real story is Neva and the 5 kids now living under her roof. She wants to protect 14 year old Bud and Belle, but since she grew up in an orphanage herself, she just can't bring herself to send her husband's 3 illegitimate children away. While Neva finds unlikely friendships with her neighbor and with the new Sheriff, others in town aren't so kind. Can Neva raise 5 kids on her own and run the mercantile shop they own below their apartment? If she sells the store where will they live?

This really is a unique story. The book alternates between perspectives of the main characters. Each of the characters surprised me at different times, and the ending was nothing like I expected. This is a story of deception, betrayal, shock, mourning, mercy, love, and redemption. At different times, the story resonated with me as a wife, a mother, and a Christian. Most of the characters have a thoroughly explained personality and many of them grow throughout the story. I do wish more had been told about Neva's marriage to Warren before his untimely passing. I think a little more background on their interaction would have made the storyline that much better. However, Sawyer has given another great read in this new book. I think you will enjoy Room for Hope if you like Christian fictions. There are hints of romance, but it is not the main feature of the book.

I have 2 copies of this book to giveaway! I'm excited because I think many of you will really enjoy this story. Enter via the easy Giveaway Tools widget for  your change to win. Ends 2/28/16 and is US only.

6 comments:

  1. I have not read any of her books...yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read any of Kim's books. She is a new author to me.
    marypopmom (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of her books before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read her books before but this one looks good!
    hrddiana556@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of her books but am a big reader so I will definitely be reading some of her stuff in the future

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard of the author but I don't believe I've read any of her books.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!