And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Saturday, February 27, 2016

The Cheerleader Journalist is on a Missing Student Case


The latest review book from BookLook Bloggers is a new Samantha Sanderson book. This is the fourth in the FaithGirlz series by Robin Carroll. Sam is a 7th grader who cheers and writes for the school blog and paper. Her mom is a journalist and her dad is a detective. She often drags her BFF Makayla into cases with her.

In Without a Trace, a fellow student has disappeared. The detectives on the case seem to think he is a runaway. Sam's dad doesn't have jurisdiction on this case but that doesn't stop her from doing her own investigating. Every clue seems to lead to a dead end. Will Tam ever be found?

While we have enjoyed the Samantha Sanderson books, this one did give me cause for concern in a few areas. Samantha does things her parents warn her against and at times it seems as though she's playing them against one another. Like other books, I'm often waiting for the big punishment to come, but it never seems to happen. As she solves these cases, she oversteps boundaries she shouldn't as a kid.

My bigger issue with this book was a paragraph that spoke of homeschooling as "lurking...just like a monster from a bad dream". While the paragraph is referencing the idea that Makayla doesn't want to leave school it isn't very complimentary to homeschooling families, and I cringed thinking of how Apple must have felt when she read the paragraph.

Like the previous books, Sam's faith is evident throughout this story. Several times she prays for her friend and his safe return. In the past I've allowed Apple to read these books first and then I read them. I believe if there are future books in this series, I will read them before she does in case the issues continue.

Apple had this to say about the book:

"I really like how Sam Sanderson is a detective. Even though she does things her dad asks her not to, she seems to respect him. I like that I can relate to her having a dad in law enforcement. It was kind of confusing in the beginning with the sirens and stuff so I didn't really like that. I think she could portray Sam as not always breaking so many rules though."

Obviously she and I had a conversation about respect and breaking rules. I wish more books were written with characters that obey their parents and still have fun and adventures.


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this review, I was going to get this book because my daughter liked another one in the series which was a fine book. However I think I might pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this review, I was going to get this book because my daughter liked another one in the series which was a fine book. However I think I might pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I really enjoyed your review. You did a great job explaining what the book was about without giving away the story! - Becky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I really enjoyed your review. You did a great job explaining what the book was about without giving away the story! - Becky

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!