And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Sunday, February 14, 2016

The Glimmer Sisters Second Mystery {Review)

The Glimmer girls are off on their second mystery in Natalie Grant's new series. In A Dolphin Wish, the girls find themselves in San Diego with their parents and their nanny. The mom, Gloria, is still on her concert tour so the twins, Maddie & Mia, and little sister, Lulu, have time to explore Captain Swashbuckler's Adventure Park. They discover there is a mystery at the park and this time Mia is the one who feels compelled to solve it.  



I found I enjoyed this second book more than London Art Chase. The sisters now seem familiar and while some of their antics still included disobedience, in this story the parents did seem a bit more attentive to the problems. I still wish the girls wouldn't disobey (because I don't want my own child to read a book like this and feel it's normal to blantantly disregard things we tell her), there were many positives to this book. The mystery is innocent enough, and the dynamics between the sisters seem relatable. The nanny Miss Julia is always giving the girls wonderful educational information as they visit new places. The parents do seem to have some heartfelt moments with the girls in between all the other parts of the story. I also appreciate that the mom in the book spends time explaining the differences in a wish and a prayer. 


I think this book would be relevant to 8-11 year olds readers. If your child already has issues with disobedience, I'd recommend steering clear of this series. If that isn't an issue or if you discuss the real life consequences of it, then I think the books are okay. 

Apple (10) read this book also and she said,

"I like how Natalie Grant did this book from Mia's point of view. I also like that Maddie is starting to get braver but at the same time the twins were having troubles. I can see that happening in real life. If everything was perfect, I wouldn't enjoy the book as much. I know my friends will like this book too! I hope there are more books in this series. I wish the books were a little longer."



No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!