And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Friday, April 8, 2016

A Prayer Devotional for Kids


On one hand, prayer seems like it should be the most natural thing in the world. On the other, prayer can be very intimidating especially if you are asked to pray aloud. I remember the first group I was in that asked me to pray out loud. I wanted to run right out of that room and never go back! I stuck in there though and fumbled my way through a prayer. Over time it became much easier although there are still times when I get tongue tied or go blank. 

For kids, prayer can be even more intimidating. Most kids fall in the habit of saying one prayer again and again. To encourage a child that is just beginning to pray or one that needs to get out of a rut, you may be interested in I Can Learn to Pray. We received this book as our April review item for Tommy Nelson. 

This is a 221 page hardcover book by Holly Hawkins Shivers. The illustrations were done by Becka Moor. The book is divided into 52 weekly devotionals all about prayer. It is organized into 7 sections like "Thank You Prayers" and "How to Listen". I think my favorite section is that last one which focuses on "Jesus Prayers". Each week covers 4 pages. The first page is an illustration with a very short suggested prayer. The second and third pages cover the topic and thoughts for that week. Sometimes it references a Bible verse or story. That last page has a little longer prayer suggestion.

This book is recommended for the 4-8 year old range. I think if your child is very new to prayer or needing a little encouragement in the area, it could be useful for kids slightly older than that range. Speedy (8) has been enjoying it for a few weeks now. It definitely doesn't have a week's worth of material, but it does have a nice lesson to use once a week.

Do you know a child that could benefit from I Can Learn to Pray? See a special preview of this devotional here, and enter to win your own copy of this little devotional on the Giveaway Tools Widget below. Giveaway will end on April 17, 2016. 


6 comments:

  1. no, I am still learning to pray as I teach my grandchildren..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont really have a certain one i love many..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not have a favorite verse on prayer. However, I do like the Lord's Prayer. At the end of my brother's funeral we stood, joined hands and said the Lord's Prayer. It was very moving. I also like the hymn, Sweet Hour of Prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love Psalms especially Psalm 23

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a favorite verse about prayer

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!