And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Young & Beardless

Young & Beardless: The Search for God, Purpose, and a Meaningful Life by John Luke Robertson is the latest book I received to review. Like many others, I'm familiar with the Robertson family through their show Duck Dynasty. The last news I remember hearing about the family was that John Luke had gotten married. While this seemed to shock many, my husband and I married fairly young and so it doesn't surprise me when others marry in their late teens or early twenties.



The information I received on this book said that it was recommended for ages 13 and up. I knew Apple would want the book, but I read it entirely before deciding if it was appropriate for her. This 223 page paperback is divided into 3 parts that are further split into 12 chapters. It also includes an introduction and a conclusion. This book is John Luke Robertson's own personal musings on what he has learned in his young life and how he has learned it. It is also his opportunity to talk about his goals in walking a Christian path.

I'm obviously much older than his 19 years. I wasn't sure how much of this book would be relevant for me. Honestly, it was a breath of fresh air. Everyone we encounter can teach us something from the oldest person to the youngest. I really enjoyed learning more about young Mr. Robertson. He presents this book in a neat organized manner and he spends lots of time talking about what he has learned from various books. I love to read, and I can completely relate to finding life changing books. Some of the books he mentioned I have read and others I'd like to read. It only took me a few days to complete the book and then I happily passed it on to Apple (11). She finished it even quicker than I did!

Apple says,

"I really like how many Bible verses he brought up. I like all the stories he told about when he was younger. I like that the book was divided into parts and chapters. One thing I enjoyed was him being able to laugh at himself. I thought it was great that he quoted other books and talked about them. My favorite part in the whole book was the questions he asked at the end of each chapter. I would like to read some of those books he mentioned. I think that the book is for people exactly my age. I think I will read this book several times again."

I think this is a wonderful read for middle and high schoolers. It gives then lots of real life information on finding God's path for life and on locating real life mentors. John Luke Robertson is a great example of a young adult seeking out God's will in our ever changing world. He gives handy advice like creating a "toolbox" and shares lots of Bible verses and quotes that have been significant in his own life. He also shares some of his own struggles. He doesn't try to present himself as perfect. He has obvious respect for his parents and elders, and that's the kind of example I want my kids to see!

Is there someone in your family who would enjoy reading Young and Beardless? You can enter to win a copy via the easy Giveaway Tools widget. The giveaway is for the continental USA only and will end June 29, 2016.




8 comments:

  1. I encourage our children to follow their dreams by setting goals & believing in themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try and help them by giving them guidance and advice when they need it. I want them to reach whatever their dreams are, so I really just try to encourage them and be present for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the biggest thing for encouraging young ones to pursue their dreams is to let go of your own expectations of them and give them that freedom to do what they love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Talking about the dreams helps a lot. We talk about how we could make our dreams come true. Although, my daughter is currently dreaming about becoming a mermaid! The email I check most often is fossil316@aol.com I would love to win this book for my teenage son.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I encourage them a lot & tell them they can do anything they set their minds to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When my daughter was younger I told her she can do anything she wants.She went to college and worked in the medical field. Thank you for the chance :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. When my daughter was younger I told her she can do anything she wants.She went to college and worked in the medical field. Thank you for the chance :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always tell my three year old grandson that he should always follow his dreams and that he can do anything that he sets his mind to.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!