And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Monday, July 18, 2016

Fruits


The first Sunday School lesson I ever taught was on the fruits of the Spirit. I come back to that verse in Galatians again and again. It's one I've covered with my kids several times in several different ways over the years. It is a verse that is easy to remember that should guide and remind us what we should be as Christians. Unlike the "shall nots" of the Ten Commandments, this is the "shalls". Both are important and relevant, but sometimes we need to hear what to do instead of what not to do.

It's been a tough few weeks for us. Hubby and I find ourselves removing friends from social media and avoiding the news and Facebook. We take refuge with friends and family that have reached out to offer support and prayers during these difficult times. We cling to our friends who live similar lives and understand the toll it takes on our family.

Mostly we fall to our knees and pray. We pray for a change in our nation. We pray for our neighbors to find the Lord. We pray that we are doing enough with our children to help them know God and find their own walk with Jesus. It's tough. It's a time of painful decisions. It's a time of change.

However, we won't dwell there in the difficulty. We will rise up each morning and remember what we should be. I ponder over those fruits as I go throughout my day. I think of ways to remind my children to bear those fruits. I thank God He gave us His word so we'd know. So we could follow Him. So we can count our blessings.

If you are in a tough place, don't live there. Find joy. Find peace. Be gentle and faithful and exhibit self- control.

Do you have a favorite Bible verse that you return to again and again? I have lots but I think I'd call Galatians 5:22 my favorite parenting verse. It's the one I must remember the most as a parent and the one I want my children to emulate. It's the one I want to live out as a Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!