And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Monday, July 25, 2016

Prayer


Colossians 4:2 Continue earnestly in prayer, being vigilant in it with thanksgiving...

Philippians 4:6-7 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

It's so easy to fall into a repetitive rut with prayer. That sounds horrible to even say because how can communication with God be a rut? Of course it isn't God who is in the rut but us. How often do we find ourselves saying the same basic prayer at each meal or the same basic prayer at bedtime or the same basic prayer when we arise in the morning? I think once we get into the habit of praying regularly then we let that habit become automatic instead of the deep, soulful time with the Lord that it is meant to be. 

As I have become more diligent about reading the Word, I have let my prayer life suffer a bit. Lately Hubby & I seem to be in the midst of several storms of life. While I am sure that God has a plan for each of these situations, the stress can be overwhelming at times. After life slowed down for a bit recently, I was able to see that my stress and anxiety was directly aligned with a prayer rut. I decided then and there to be more concious in my prayer time. 

Already I'm seeing God move in some areas that didn't seem significant enough to pray about before. As with most things in life, I've been in similar seasons before and should know better but ya know...life happens and we repeat our bad habits. 

In our relationship with the Lord, we must give equal time and concentration on His word and on prayer. I think it is also important to be in relationship with His other children. 

Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
So a man sharpens the countenance of his friend.

Matthew 28:19-20 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.

Does your prayer life ever become a rut?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!