And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Monday, August 8, 2016

7th Grade Curriculum Choices



7th Grade...how on earth did we get here? Seriously seems like we JUST pulled Apple out of public school Pre-K. Seems like we JUST decided to keep her home until Kindergarten. Seems like we JUST realized that public school wasn't going to be her best option. Seriously. Like yesterday. Like life is running on fast forward, here she is a 7th grader. Whew. Not sure this mama is ready! At all!

I spent a lot more time researching options before I set a solid plan this year. I spent much more time looking over the choices available to us before I picked anything. I scribbled all over my planning pages by marking things out and adding new things in. And to be honest, I'm still not sure I've got it right. In fact, I'm pretty much convinced I don't. However, we needed to get moving on the year and so I just said some prayers (okay LOTS AND LOTS of prayers) and started planning.

Our biggest change for 2016-2017 is Apple will be going to 3 different co-op classes. She will be attending a science lab class and a language arts class for her grade range with other homeschoolers. She is very excited for those classes to begin and so am I! I truly hope this is an opportunity that will spur her into feeling responsibility for her own schoolwork. Independence. She has always been independent, but in the education area she could use a little more initiative. She will also be taking a short set of government classes in our immediate area. She knows a few homeschoolers from our little town, but I'm hoping she can build some real friendships while learning about government during this appropriate season.

I have listed our curriculum choices in the curriculum tab (where you can see everything we've used over the years), but I will give you a little more detail here. Our local school system gives 7th graders 6 classes (4 core and 2 elective) so I'm going to try to break ours down the same way. HA! This should be fun.

Language Arts

Language Arts Class (outside the home)

Literature with unit studies:
King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table
Adam of the Road
Carry On, Mr. Bowditch
The Witch of Blackbird Pond
Robin Hood
Across 5 Aprils

Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization

Math

Math-U-See Algebra I
CTCMath Algebra I

Science

A Reason for Science Class (outside the home)

History

American Government from schoolhouseteachers.com (Fall)
Civil Rights Movement "      " (Spring)
Government Co-op

Bible
Bible Road Trip Year 1

Electives
Latin Derivatives I
Spanish Starter Set
Music Appreciation 1

With some creative squeezing, I can pretend she only has 6 classes too! One of the things we love about homeschooling is that the kids have time to study what interests them or to work on areas where I think they need improvement. Since I serve on the Crew, we are always receiving great resources to try. Apple is still accessing and using MaxScholar, SmartKidz Media, and a few other programs we've received to review over the last year or so.

Every year I feel a little more anxiety about meeting the "requirements" she needs as she heads towards high school and college years. It is really just pressure I put on myself because I know she's well past where she needs to be. Maybe by the time both kids finish school I will have learned to relax a little! HA!

The Crew is doing some special Blog Hops this week. Today is the first day and the topic is Curriculum. I'd like to invite you to Hop around and see what choices others are making for the year (or what they used in previous years).


5 Days of Homeschool 101


No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!