And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Friday, August 12, 2016

Encouragement

I may not be the best person to give encouragement to you on your homeschool journey. I tend to be the more realistic (ie blunt) person in any group. Not that realistic people can't be encouraging, I'm just not very good at it!



I will attempt to add something to this topic though. We aren't new to homeschooling by any means, but I still have days when I don't think I can do it. There are days when I'm ready to throw in the towel and load the kids on the bus. I have a few things to get me through those days (or weeks or months).

The Bible. I've really learned this year that spending more time in the Bible has a HUGE impact on my life. God's word really is the sword of the Spirit, and it can help us slay overcome anything. Reading Scripture keeps us focused on the things God has called us to do, and it reminds us that our most important homeschool job is to bring up our kids in His word.

Friends. You need a friend or friends to help you through. Someone else who homeschools. Someone else who has or is dealing with children close to the same age of your own. Someone who can empathize with you and make you laugh during the tough times. I've been so blessed by the ladies who have come along beside me and helped me through. You have to be there for them on their tough days too! No one is exempt. We all need encouragement sometimes.

A list. Mine has always been a mental list but I have a goal to make a physical list to keep in my homeschool planner. What should be on the list? The reasons why you homeschool. Obviously some of those reasons may come from reading the Bible. Hopefully chatting with your friends will remind you of some of the reasons. I think though it is super important to have that list to add to as time goes on. The reasons we finally gave in to homeschooling in the beginning are still a part of our list, but the list is so much longer now! The days when you unexpectedly feel grateful for the homeschool lifestyle because you can go out of town on a whim or meet a friend for lunch at CFA in the middle of the day or your child can participate in something during shcool hours, write it on your list! There will be a day that you will need to see it all in black and white so you don't give up!

Those are my tips for finding encouragement...because I'm not very good at giving you any myself. HA! Maybe you can find some better encouragement from others participating in the Schoolhouse Review Crew 5 Days of Homeschool 101 blog hop. Is anyone else sad today is the last day? I ope you've enjoyed all the special posts this week!


5 Days of Homeschool 101

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!