And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Monday, October 17, 2016

A Snippet

A couple of weeks ago I was spending some time in prayer when I really felt these words pressed on me. I posted them on one of my personal social media accounts and the words seemed to resonate with a lot of friends. I thought I'd share them here in case you need to hear them too.

Is a snippet enough? We look at someone's social media, a snippet of their life, and decide who that person is and if we envy them or not. We look at a snippet of a video and decide we understand the whole situation and motive. Some take a snippet of Scripture, a verse or phrase, and base their lives on it without ever understanding the whole story. I want to look at the big picture. I want to understand the whole story. A snippet isn't enough.

From other people's posts and blogs, I think people in my generation are really aware that someone's social media accounts don't reflect their real lives. "Keeping it real" and other hashtag phrases indicate a true life, not perfect moment post, but those are usually in the midst of all the posts that make our lives look perfect. I'm glad most of my friends and people older than us see the reality in social media, but I really have compassion for those younger generations. The ones who are constantly attached to their phones. The ones who base their assessment of the day by the number of hearts or likes they received on their latest selfie. The ones who are bombarded with adult and x-rated images because they are allowed on social media sites.

Protect your babies. Talk to them about how unrealistic social media is. Take them to places with real people and insist they put down their phones. Make sure they have plenty of screen free hours in their day. Insist they bring their friends home for dinner and conversation. Don't let them live a snippet of life instead of a whole one. 

1 comment:

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!