And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Monday, March 27, 2017

Fruits of the Spirit

When I start teaching a new group of kids, I always tend to default to the Fruits of the Spirit for the initial lesson or lessons. Galatians 5:22-23 is one of my favorite passages, and I love to share it with little people. My Elementary Wednesday night students have been working on one fruit per week.

Each week I peruse Pinterest for ideas to plan my lesson. I like to include several verses about the characteristic and a story from the Bible. We discuss the fruit and usually I read some scenarios to get them thinking about how the fruit translates to real life. I've used a variety of coloring pages, visuals, and fun to keep the lessons memorable.



For love, I found a cool way to "spread" red marker ink from one heart to other hearts. For joy,we made smiley face emojis, and I showed a piece of paper with 1 dot on it to show how we look for the fault instead of the good qualities. For peace, we colored thank you pages for our local police department. For patience, I took 3 sizes of rubber bands to demonstrate our patience stretching. For kindness, we squeezed out tubes of toothpaste to remind us we can't take back our words. For goodness, I used 2 pitchers of lemonade and added mud and rocks to one to demonstrate what happens when we let things that aren't good into our lives. For faithfulness, I took a bowl of water, a rock, and a sponge to demonstrate a faithful heart vs a hardened heart. We only have gentlesness and self-control left to learn. I plan to use some sand paper and cotton balls to talk about gentleness this week. I haven't quite decided about next week's visual, but I think it will involve candy!

You can see all the links I've saved for my Wednesday night class on this Pinterest board.

Our class is an hour to an hour and a half long so we've been working on learning 2 songs. The first is a Fruits of the Spirit song, and the second song is helping us memorize the Books of the OT. We've discussed the divisions of the OT books. We've also been playing lots of games to help us memorize them. The kids love playing a hot potato style game with a rubber ball. As they pass the ball around, they say the next book of the Bible. We've done some relay races with cards to put in order as well. I took an old Jenga set and wrote the names of the books on it. They like to build structures by putting the books in order. Last week, I made a big memory game with some cardstock. Once we've finished the Fruits of the Spirit lessons and learned our books of the Old Testament, we'll be singing our 2 songs on a Sunday morning.

Next we will work on the books of the New Testament and start another series of lessons. I'm leaning towards the Days of Creation.

Do you teach a children's class in your church? If so, what lessons are you working on right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!