And all thy children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. Isaiah 54:13 KJV

Monday, July 24, 2017

8th Grade


Our school supplies are purchased and our calendar is set. I still feel very unprepared for my child to be in 8th grade though! Actually I watched a homeschool high school planning information session yesterday, and it made me feel much better. Still....8th grade!!!!!

We have 1 week of summer break left and then we will ease into a new school year. Honestly Apple is excited. She's ready. My goals this year for her involve getting her to "own" her education. She is fiercely independent, but I want her to really understand this year that her learning time is for her benefit. Our schooltime is not to check off boxes I've given her but to prepare her for her future education, work, and life. She's getting there, but I hope she gains more of an understanding of that before high school. She has goals already for high school and for college. I'm so proud of her for that but I'm hoping she will see this year that diligence will pay off in the end.

She has worked very hard up until now so 8th grade will be a little "light" for her. It's a chance to fill in any gaps before beginning to gain those high school credits.

Bible- Apologia Who is My Neighbor? textbook and notebooking journal
         We worked through the first 2 books in this series as a family. I'm planning to let her go through this one on her own because Speedy has something different for Bible this year. She'll also be continuing studies with her youth group.

Math- Personal Foundations for Middle School & Economics for Everybody
           Since she did Algebra I for 7th grade, we are taking things a bit slower for "math" this year. She'll be doing this consumer math study and an economics study. She will also begin Geometry at a very slow pace with CTCMath as she is actually planning to take it for her 9th grade math credit.

Science- God's Design for Planet Earth and God's Design Heat and Motion
            Again we worked on some books in this series years ago as a family through a local co-op. These are 2 that we never used. She will do both of these on her own and add in some extra resources along the way.

Language Arts- Writer's in Residence & IEW's Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization
              Apple began this when we received it for review awhile back. She didn't complete it at the time so she is going to use it this year. She will also continue Level 2 of IEW's Poetry Memorization program.

Literature- The Bronze Bow, The Children's Homer: The Adventures of Odysseus and the Tale of Troy, The Yearling, Words Aptly Spoken Short Stories
                Apple still consumes books. She's been begging for some Shakespeare for awhile so she completed a short Shakespeare Introductory course over the summer. She's also been reading Great Expectations so I felt good about giving her a lighter load for her scheduled schoolwork this year.

History- Mystery of History II
                We completed Mystery of History I as a family a couple of years ago. We've also listened to the third volume of Story of the World on audio book. She will work through Mystery of History II on her own this time.

Electives- Getting Started with French & Fallacy Detective
                 She began French last year in the midst of some Spanish studies so she will complete it this year. Fallacy Detective is a logic curriculum I won several years ago. I'm excited for her to finally take it!

I'll admit I've loved our long summer break, and I'm reluctant to start back. However, I'm excited about this 8th grade lineup, and I have high hopes that Apple will excel this year.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe another school year is here. Looks like great curriculum choices. We loved the God's Design or Science series and completed Physical Science last year in 8th grade. Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!!! Post away!